efowl vs. mypetchicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by bock, Sep 26, 2010.

1. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    We are going to getv 12 new chickens this spring, and we have three choices. We could try and find the breeds we want at local feed stores, we could order from mpc, or we could order from efowl. What was your experience with these two hactcheries? Were they reliable, did they have healthy birds, were their prices too high? Thanks for the help! [​IMG]

2. SilkiePuff

SilkiePuff Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2010
    my first batch of Silkies came from efowl.com my hubby ordered them for me.. all the chicks were super healthy.. the prices were decent. I was going to order from Mypetchicken since they can do sexing on the babies first.. but I don't know if I would recommend buying from either.. since i've heard that its better to get stock from a breeder ,but it all depends on what you want the chickens for.. if you just want eggs and meat birds then efowl would be okay, since the minimum amount of birds you have to order is 10 and the shipping and handling is decent..

just what I have noticed.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I haven't tried efowl, but I have placed one order through MPC. I was happy with them.

I ordered 20 Golden Campines and 5 Easter Eggers, all female. I think all my GCs are female (they are now 2 months old) although there is one I am watching carefully because the comb is a little redder than the others. I am sure all the EEs are female.

Actually I kind of want one of the GCs to be a roo now. So I can breed them!

So I'm really happy with them.

4. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Wow, that is pretty messed up isn't it? Well, I think mypetchicken looks like a really good place to get them. I am just wondering if their shipping costs more. [​IMG]

5. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    MyPetChicken shipping depends on where you live. I have ordered twice for MPC and was impressed both times. I ordered EEs the first time, and more EEs and Silver cuckoo marans the 2nd time. All females.
    They seem to be all females but I agree with chickensaresweet....I would be happy if one was a roo so I could breed them!

Both times I ordered they arrived happy,friendly and healthy. If it is the winter or fall, they get shipped with a heat pad. The customer service is great. The shipping is a tad pricey, but that's just because they usually get overnighted. I have never ordered from efowl (never heard of them) but I'm sure they are good too.

6. JustOneMore

JustOneMore Chillin' With My Peeps

Love, love, LOVE our MPC chicks. So much that we did 3 orders this year!

The original plan was to have "a few" hens. The chicks did so well that we decided to do a few more ... and a few more.

I highly recommend MPC. They have great customer service and healthy chicks ... that have grown up to be STUNNING birds.

Shipping can be perceived as being expensive BUT it costs nearly as much to send a document overnight via FedEx as it does to have those precious chicks sent. In my opinion, it's worth the added expense to know that you have disease-free, vaccinated, healthy babies to start with.

Last spring we purchased 3 adult hens from a breeder with a great reputation. She came highly recommended by many people. The hens were $20 each, which those "in the know" told us was a great price. My spouse did the pick up and I eagerly examined them when they got home. THEY WERE FULL OF LICE!!! [​IMG] A vet consult was needed and then treatment followed immediately. The cost wasn't as much of an issue for me as the freak-out factor of our new pets having cooties!!!

To me, MPC's $35 shipping fee for healthy, pest free chicks is WELL worth the cost. [​IMG]

OH, the adult hens were from a breeder that was 4 hours from us. 8 hours of driving cost a lot more in gas than $35!

7. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

I love MPC! I had never ordered or even raised chicks before, but I did alot of research, and was very impressed with their website. What really sold me was the fact that I could order a small amount of chickens. I only wanted 5.But because of where I live, I had to order 8. I was able to sell the other 3 to a family friend. One of my hens did turn out to be a roo, but that didn't bother me. They will credit you, I believe, if you call them and let them know you got a roo, when ordering a female. I kind of forgot to do that. Unfortunately, he turned out to be mean, but found someone that really liked his coloring, and took him to add to his flock. (he was a beautiful splash Blue Andalusian). Anyway, they do charge a bit for shipping, but to me, it is worth all the extra care they give. All the chicks I ordered in March, came happy and healthy. It was cold here at that time, so they came with a heat pack. It was still very warm when I got them. I just ordered some more chicks from them, that should be here the end of October. Can't wait! I can't recommend MPC enough!

8. wildeflowers

wildeflowers I suspect fowl play!

Jun 29, 2010
    No knocking any of your options, but why are you limiting yourself to only those choices?

What about other hatcheries or breeders?

9. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    I love efowl. Great birds ( though I only have their ducks not their chickens) great prices, very personal customer service by phone, email and Facebook page.

Here a pic of some of my ducks, a lot of these guys are efowl ducks. I'm sure their chickens are just as nice.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by