Egads!! My chickies are here!! Got a surprise or two! Now with PICS!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Princess Lay-a, May 28, 2010.

1. Princess Lay-a

Princess Lay-a Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Great Falls
    Our friend Rich was bringing us some chicks today. At first I thought we were getting a dozen, but he said that it was to be 50! [​IMG]
    They were going to be younger than what we thought at first too, just a week or so.
    Dear Rich is a very generous man...he brought us 75 chicks!! [​IMG] LOL!

We were also getting two Polish today. They are 5 and 7 weeks old. But they are doing wonderfully with the little ones. We got them from a young man named Josh who is a chicken guru! He is very hands on and his birds are very accepting of change and smaller birds. I think they are going to work out just fine all together!
    We found one chick from Rich that looks like a naked neck! He says there are none in the mix though. I'll try to get better pics of that one for your advise on if that's what it is or if it was plucked.

We made a fairly large brooder in the garage out of two play yards, a kiddie pool, chicken wire and corrugated fiber glass roofing. We have a 250 watt red heat lamp and can adjust the temp by raising and lowering it. I know in a week we'll be taking the pool out and expanding the play area since there are more than what we expected.
    My blind cat granny-cat, Maha is wandering in the garage hearing and smelling chicken dinner.[​IMG] But we have sealed it all off from puddy paws, so they should be safe. When I figure out how to post pics I'll share photos!
    Peace!
    Kathy

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Expecting 12 and got 77??? Gack!!

3. Yardbirds286

Yardbirds286 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Western Mass
    Oh my gosh! I thought I was busy, but you wn! LOL Good luck with those babies. [​IMG]

4. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    that is some chicken math.
    I cant imagine cleaning that much poop!

5. Princess Lay-a

May 17, 2010
    Great Falls
    HUH?! What?! They POOP!!!??? [​IMG] LOL!

6. Princess Lay-a

May 17, 2010
    Great Falls
    Here goes some chickie pics attempts:

This is the brooder without the roof. The top is made of the green corrugated roofing/greenhouse stuff. Got it cheap at the Salvation Army.
    See all the little fuzzy things running around?! My chickies! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another group pic! I know there is a Rhode Island Red (very small), the two Polish, any others you can point out?? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This little one I'm not sure of. Naked neck or a victim of plucking?? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    Cute chicks. You definitely have a turken (naked neck) there. They are the most nicest breed of chicken in my opinion. All the turkens I ever had in my life has been so friendly even the roos. Enjoy your chicks. [​IMG]

I have 160 chicks right now (day olds up to 4 weeks) . The 4 week old chicks are in a seperate location from the others

8. Liana

Liana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Southern NH
    Wow, congrats! I see a few with a light spot on the back of the head - Barred Rocks?

9. haTHOR

haTHOR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Near Asheville, NC
    i have 25 and have discovered that deep litter method works great... i can't imagine how to deal with the poop other wise, esp. with the number you have, without going through a TON of shavings and work! i use it for my adults too but what a blessing when you have a bunch of baby chicks, which are totally poo-machines.

good luck. [​IMG]

10. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    That's a lot of fuzzy butts! [​IMG]

My DH would have a fit if I had that many at once. I think my limit at one time will be what I can fit into my LG bator!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by