Egats! Horse hair everywhere!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by rodriguezpoultry, Aug 7, 2010.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I decided to get down and dirty with the rubber brush today.

As I was doing the motion, ALL of this hair comes out! It was like shaving my poodle, but more sweaty and with less hog-tying. How can a horse with 1/4" hair have THAT much hair on him? It was coming off of him in clumps!

His legs were so gross! The hair fell off and fell to the ground around his hooves. It was almost like watching snow fall. Mesmerizing, but sweaty and exhausting. He LOVED it. When I did his face, he almost went to sleep. He doesn't look nearly as shaggy now. We've still got quite a ways to go on his beautification, but we're getting close to it.

I may sleep in the stall with him on a cot to make sure he doesn't roll all over in his own poo the night before. I'm getting pretty excited.

Is it normal for that much hair to come out with just a rubber brush?

2. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    Quote:Yep [​IMG] Horses (and dogs!) shed near constantly it seems. What came off was just a load of loose or old hair and you got it really out. So long as he doesn't have any balding or thin spots, he's fine.

You'd think with the amount my dog sheds, she'd be bald. But no! Still a full coat and I sweep up huge hair balls every day! [​IMG]

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    This is the time of year when they are shedding their summer coats, and starting to grow in the winter coats. So, yes, it is a pretty hairy time of year [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by