Egg #1 - *Update*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by turtle1173, Aug 2, 2008.

1. turtle1173

turtle1173 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    SE Missouri
    WOW, how exciting!! I've thought that some of my chickens must be getting close. Especially the New Hampshire Red, as she's been squatting everytime I come close to her. Her comb and wattles have been a bright red for a couple weeks now. My buff orp has starting turning reddish the last few days.

Anyway, I went outside this morning to make my rounds. I looked in the nest... nothing there except for my fake eggs. Went around the side and opened one of the doors to the coop. Nothing. Opened the door next to it and there on top of the pine shavings on the floor was this cute egg.

When I went to pick it up, I knew immediately that this wasn't a normal egg. I guess this is what you all mean by a "soft-shelled" egg. Kind of feels rubbery.

I'm proud of my girls and I'm going today to get some oyster shell for them. I have no idea "who" laid the egg. The only one's I've ruled out is the 2 CA whites and the Silkie (he's a rooster, LOL).

That leaves 7 possible suspects. Hmmm...

Shane

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  2. Kesta

Kesta Pie Crust Malfunction

Jul 31, 2008
    houston tx
    congrats my rir layed her first egg today too i was like omg i cant believe it i just wanted to kiss that chicken [​IMG]

3. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Congrats. It is so exciting to get that first egg, at least it always is for me....lol

Dorothy

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Yeah! Congrats on your first egg. Now you'll be going out there 50 times a day ... just to check.[​IMG]

5. clarkestep

clarkestep Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    N Metro Atlanta
    Quote:You mean you didn't? [​IMG]

6. hollyinpa

hollyinpa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2008
    My barred rocks are now 12 weeks old....I can hardly wait for them to start laying. My older hen stopped laying during the summer. Not sure if it was due to the summer heat, the fact that she's older, and/or she's ticked off that she has to roost and hang out with the little birds;) Once the 6 pullets start to lay I'll be up to my ears in eggs....can't wait.

Congrats on your first egg!

7. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Congrats on your 1st egg [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    yeah! woo hoo! yummy!

9. turtle1173

Apr 26, 2008
    SE Missouri
    Thanks everyone.

I believe I found the culprit. This afternoon my New Hampshire Red was digging around in the coop over in the corner. No new eggs but I suspect it is her.

Can't wait to check tomorrow morning!! LOL

Shane

10. turtle1173

Apr 26, 2008
    SE Missouri
    This morning I went out to the coop with high expectations. After all she had a day off yesterday, LOL. Well, I found nothing [​IMG]

Had some errands to do and got back home around 3pm. Opened the doors to my coop and it looked like someone had been doing some scratching around. Didn't see any eggs. I then decided to look in the nest boxes (I have 3). In the middle of box #2 was a perfect light brown egg [​IMG] and it was solid too!!

I am so proud. Here's some pics. My daughter says she wants to have it for breakfast in the morning, LOL

Shane

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by