1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg 2 days late pipped.. but yolk was dripping out.. HELP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 88heather, Sep 23, 2011.

1. 88heather

88heather Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Black Forest, CO
    So I had one egg left from my hatch that all but one hatched this Wednesday.. This egg started finally breaking free this morning.. but one thing was different. As it broke the egg , yolk was dripping and pooling out.. I watched him eat the yolk as he worked the hole.. Now activity is stopped (only been stopped for about 20 minutes now).. Is yolk dripping bad??? I didn't see this with my other 3 that hatched. He was chirping and working at it.. now nothing.. I'm hoping he just started pecking in a different spot?? Uggh.. I'm worrying about this little guy.

So anyone seen this before? have any experiences with this? Advice??

I'll update if anything changes.. I'm ANXIOUS!

2. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

hope he hasnt drownd. never heard of that b4, hmmm anyone have ideas?

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I've never had that happen, I would make sure he can breathe, that the beak is clear of goo. How far along is the zip? Is the shell open enough to see his face?

4. shelby528

shelby528 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Ontario
    Quote:I had this happen all i did was take it out of its shell carefully! and then I clean up all the mess and make sure his plug is in..if its not and stuff is hanging out (not intestines) I tie thread around it...cut it off below the thread and put polysporin (just a little) on their bum and keep them seperate..itll drown if you dont get it out. sad..i know ive lost many because of this.

5. 88heather

May 9, 2009
    Black Forest, CO
    I'll post a pic.. I had seen it's beak eating the yolk.. but now the area where I did see the beak looks plugged up.. the hole isn't that big.. but I was watching the beak inside eating the yolk like crazy as it would slowly drip out. I'm afraid to mess with it.. wondered if it moved its head and tried pecking a new hole?? Weird! The hole is about the size as the tip of your pinky finger..

I'll get a pic.. I was afraid to open the incubator.. I just don't know what to do??[​IMG][​IMG]

6. shelby528

shelby528 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Ontario
    Quote:If it did move its head it probably sunk lower where all the yolk will be. Honestly thats what I do with my eggs to increase the chances of survival and so they dont drown!

7. stephanie1992

i say help him asap, slowly pull the shell off carfully watching for blood vessels, and get at least his head out of there to wher he can breath

8. 88heather

May 9, 2009
    Black Forest, CO
    Here's the pic.. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. stephanie1992

aww yaa help the poor little guy

10. 88heather

May 9, 2009
    Black Forest, CO
    so crack the egg.. how???? with my hands?? really?? is that the best thing to do?? i'm scared!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by