1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Egg a day, but no "egg song"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spackals, Aug 17, 2010.

1. spackals

spackals In the Brooder

Apr 7, 2010
    Since last saturday I have collected 1 egg a day. But so far I haven't heard any "singing" when the egg is laid. Today I actually spent alot of time in the kitchen and back yard so that I would hear it. I went out at several times between 8 am and 10 am and no egg. When I went out at about 10:30 there it was right in the nest box and I never heard the song. Is this normal?

2. trunkman

trunkman Songster

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    I've watched one of my RIR pullets lay every day for the past week and never heard a peep, today I heard her for the first time after laying an egg, so ya never know... [​IMG]

3. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Songster

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    My silkies don't sing. actually I dont think my EE or comet do either. The marans though....wow, they got some lungs! lol

4. amsunshine

amsunshine Songster

Mar 24, 2010
    Kansas
    My BO might mumble a bit but she is in stealth mode with the egg laying. My EE screeches like she's got her finger caught in the door. Guess everyone's different.

5. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Songster

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    my pullet made a lot of noise before she went into lay but no song and my BO doesn't sing, I think if there is no song theres probably less to worry about.

6. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Songster

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I only have one hen who sings the 'egg song' the rest are absolutely silent when they lay. However, when the 'singer' lays, several of the hens and the roos will join her in her song,

sandie

7. spackals

spackals In the Brooder

Apr 7, 2010
    Thank you all for your replies. Mine are BO's. I guess all breeds are different. I won't worry any more. [​IMG]

8. buckabucka

buckabucka Crowing

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Consider yourself lucky. I've been hearing the egg song, but we're still waiting for our first egg! [​IMG]
    Robin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by