egg abandoned, I can feel it moving; help!

MaryFrances

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 17, 2009
Clarkesville, GA
I moved a hen and chicks, not knowing she still had one egg. It was warm last night and I just checked it and it is cool. I believe I can feel movement inside. About 14 other chicks have hatched. I don't have an incubator so I am holding the egg to my body to keep it warm. Is it too late?

Couldn't you just sneak it back under the hen with the chicks? Or another hen? I don't know...
sad.png

I would candle it to be sure that you DO feel movement inside....

When was the mother taken from the nest? Is she still sort of "sitting" in the area where you put her? I would experiment to see if she sees an egg, does she want to sit on it? Or completely ignore it?

Just some thoughts..... GOOD LUCK!!!
fl.gif
hugs.gif

And congrats on your babies!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

I'll read up on candling. Most chicks hatched the last two days, just saw them yesterday and there are so many! They drove home with me in the car last night, and the egg seemed to still be warm when I left them together last night. Might be too late. I put it in a box with a light. Can they survive that kind of movement when they're about to hatch?

These chicks were under a bush at work last night and there was a cat nearby, so I moved them. The hen had come out with the chicks earlier in the day but stayed very close to the nest. Most were in a box to go home with me when I discovered the egg. I'll leave the egg in a little box with a light and damp cloth and see what happened. The chicks are moving about now and I don't know if she'll sit on this egg or not. No other hens around. Can the egg survive if it had cooled off, and been moved about?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom