1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg Abnormality

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Apr 7, 2012.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    I assume this is just a fluke.A little extra calcium deposit on outside of shell. I have no idea which duck laid it. This was laid a few days ago and I haven't seen another one. I also assume it could do damage to the duck with an abnormal protrusion such as this coming out when it is laid?[​IMG]

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    I just put a chicken egg in my incubator and it looks like that. I'm not sure if it will present problems at hatching or not[​IMG]. I noticed that the air bubble is below the weird bump on my egg. Hopefully since the air bubble is not too far away from where it should be, it should be fine. I hope this helps.

3. brahmabreeder

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    I know it has been a while since anyones posted but I thought i would update you. My egg that looked like that hatched fine last night and is under it's foster parent doing well.

4. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    Interesting. I noticed in my kitchen eggs when I get those that it you poke them too much they pop off the egg shells so i've been rejecting any eggs with that anomaly from my hatching attempts.
    Very interesting.

5. jessiduck

jessiduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    New York
    Looks like a calcium deposit to me. I wouldn't be too worried about it! I'm sure it will be just fine! [​IMG]

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    We get those sometimes. Doesn't seem to be a problem for the ducks or us.

7. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    Congratulations [​IMG]

8. brahmabreeder

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Thanks[​IMG]

9. kittywithducks

kittywithducks New Egg

Sep 30, 2011
    Vancouver WA
    sorry to invade on this post, but any idea what THIS is???
    we've head several of those, with kind of a 'paper bag' and a little slime around an odd shaped egg -with a hard shell-inside it, and also just some eggs that were just slightly odd shaped, without the 'paper bag'. this one almost seemed like an egg inside an egg... laid by a 1 year old Magpie.[​IMG]

10. billw

billw Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    WA Coast
    It is a papery shell with the normal membrane inside of it, I think. We had a few of those when the ducks first started laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by