egg amounts

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rocky08, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Rocky08

Rocky08 New Egg

Apr 20, 2008
    Florida
    my two buff orps started laying on 3-28-08, one egg each per day, lately im only getting one per day or none for a day or to ,then picks back up. Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Sometimes it takes a while for their bodies to get the egg laying pattern down. Is it possible they're laying somewhere else part of the time.

3. Rocky08

Rocky08 New Egg

Apr 20, 2008
    Florida
    no i don't think so, i have 4 nest boxes in the coop and all the eggs so far are found in the same box.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I am from Florida too. I have 6 RIR's they have been laying consistantly 5 / 6 eggs every day except lately. In the last couple of weeks I have been getting 2/3 and once in awhile 4 eggs. They are not molting and nothing has changed in their diet except I haven't been giving the scratch (cracked corn) because I have read on many forums and other poultry sites that it is not good to give them cracked corn in warm/hot weather. Lately here it has been mid 80's daytime here and lower 60"s/Upper 50's at night, (which is actually 6 to 7am for the lowest temps). It averages upper 60's most of the night until early am. They have shade and their food and water are kept in the coup to which they have 24 hr. access.

5. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    when hens quit laying so much.it could that some lay today.an some lay tomorrow.

6. Sahara

Sahara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Keystone Heights, FL
    I'm in FL also and my chickens tend to lay about every other day. I have an older Americana that lays about every two to three days.

I don't know what the rhyme or reason is but someone once told me that a chicken lays about once every 25 hours. I don't know if that is true or not.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    In addition to the ckicken not laying good lately, I just noticed that a couple of the chickens have kind of pale, not bright red combs & wattles. They are eating and drinking fine. I clean their water every day and make sure their feed is good and fresh. They get treats such as oats, sunflower seeds and I started giving them a wee bit if scratch again. Also they get stuff from the garden such as lettuce, carrots, greens, peas, NO potatoes. I have given them a grapefruit cut in half once in awhile until I read that citrus was not good for them. they are 8 months old. They started laying at 17 weeks old.

8. Rocky08

Rocky08 New Egg

Apr 20, 2008
    Florida
    Hey folks thanks for replying. I have been busy with other issues since I first posted. Things are kinda back to normal with 2 a day again. I wasn't aware of the feeding scratch with warmer weather thing, so I guess i'll be monitoring that. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by