Egg and candling questions???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Justy0, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Justy0

Justy0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2014
    PLEASE AnSWER even if you only answer one question I would still appreciate it! Thanks.

So I just found 6 eggs today, I know three are from this morning but the other three I found hiding and are possibly 2 to 3 days old. So I have a few questions.

My male is injured right now so I don't think the eggs are fertilzed, but I heard they can be even a few weeks after mating so I am wondering what I should do because I know you can't really see if they are fertile till around day 5. But that confuses me because then how do you know which ones to eat and which ones to incubate? Is it just something you either deicide to eat all or decide to try all?

Second if I did try to incubate and after a few days they were clearly infertile, is it too late to eat the eggs or is it still safe?

Third, Iknow its kind of hard to know which chickens laid which eggs but 3 are big and 3 are small and I'm wondering if this is a breed difference? i have two swedish ducks and one unkown breed, who is like a light tanish brownish color and was a yellow/grey color as a duckling. But they are all the same size.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    With us, we decide to eat the eggs, if we ever want to incubate them, we will set those aside and treat them differently from the gitgo.

To be sure who laid what, you can dab food coloring on the vent.

If eggs have been incubated, then bacteria have been given a chance to flourish, potentially. I would not risk it.

1 person likes this.
  3. Justy0

Mar 28, 2014
    Okay thank you. And do you think there is any chance they are fertilized if the male was with them about two weeks ago?

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yes I think there is a chance.

1 person likes this.
  5. Justy0

Mar 28, 2014
    Ok thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by