egg and chick sexing came out true

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chkinut, Dec 11, 2010.

1. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    ok everyone, laugh if you want....but last year i hatched out a total of 4 silkie eggs (out of about 25 eggs...terrible hatch rate). anyway, i read about egg sexing....thread a needle and then dangle it over the egg (i waited till my eggs went into lockdown to do this). if it goes in a circle, it's a female, if it goes back and forth, it's a male. so i did it with all my eggs and marked each egg. then, i did the chick sexing thing when they were a couple days old. you hold the chick in your hand, on it's back, wait for it to settle down and if it's female it draws its legs up.....if it's male, it sticks them out straight. well, it turned out 100% right with all 4 chicks. and, being as they were silkies, took me forever to figure out! but outta all 4 eggs, 3 were roos and one was a pullet. maybe it was coincidence, but i'll be doing it again with my new hatchings this year.

2. chickendude1

chickendude1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2010
    Morganton North Carolina
    I guess you were lucky most of the time eggs dont work that way. But when you sex them it usually works. But silkies are the best chicks ever but you mostley end up with roosters:/

3. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I know alot of people believe in this method. Me, I reserve judgement cause i've never tried it!

A lady recently was selling pea chicks and had them paired up. I asked her how can you sex them and be so sure?

She said she tried the needle on string method and has been accurate with it.

Anyone else out there try it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by