Egg arranging Brahma

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pgpoultry, Aug 23, 2010.

1. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    This is the second Brahma hen I have noticed who arranges her eggs in this pattern....must be the best way to keep the conditions right.

[​IMG]

The 'nest' is the dog's bed.....

Sandie

2. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    How funny! I have a broody brahma right now, I must check to see if she is doing the same.

What day is your girl on and what is she sitting on?

3. pgpoultry

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Well, you will realise that this wasn't part of my master plan!

Mrs Grey (broody Dark Brahma) chose to go broody on the Border Collie dog's bed.......a foam slab overlaid by an old sleeping bag and a 'delightfully coloured' woolen blanket. As she is pretty safe in the outhouse with the dog now on another pad in front of her( and between her and the door ) I decided to let her continue where she is. She has been laying her eggs on the dog's bed and sleeping by him since a fox attack halved my flock a few weeks ago.

She is on day 6 or thereabouts. Like most Brahmas she is one laid back hen and doesn't usually even bother to protest when folk go into the outhouse and right over her head to get tools from the shelving.
    [​IMG]

It would be interesting to see if your Brahma has the same egg 'arrangement!

Sandie

4. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    lol, bless her, she looks so comfy! They are such funny things sometimes. Is it more brahmas she is hatching?

5. pgpoultry

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Hi, Mrs Grey is hatching (hopefully!) two Brahmas and 5 mutts (Brahma X Warren) as they make such interesting chickens. My Gold Brahma hen just hatched 'true blues' so I am unashamedly looking for a bit of glamour now!

Brahmas make excellent mums don't they?

Sandie

6. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    I love the dog's expression. He knows he doesn't have any chance of taking his bed back! What a clever hen!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by