1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

egg atopsy. Question????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by vpeterson, Sep 15, 2009.

1. vpeterson

vpeterson Chillin' With My Peeps

I looked at my eggs which were left over from my hatch and tried to determine what I did wrong. They appeared to be for the most part full term but did not pip. Some seemed to have a lot of liquid in the sack. Too much humidity? It also seemed like the membrane was white and dry. (they were not shrink wrapped) Is this a problem with too much humidity or not enough. The first part of my incubation I kept it in the low 40s. The last three days were anywhere from 65-80. It was hard to keep it steady. At night it would drop down to the high 50s. I was using a LG with fan. Any wisdom would be appreciated. Thanks

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Just from what you said I would guess it was to much humidity and/or to little ventilation the first 18 days. But thats really just a guess.

3. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    80 is pretty high for all but the most arid regions.

Water in the sac can be too much humidity or too little ventilation.

Was it still air or fan?

What were your temps - did you calibrate the thermometers.

What day did any hatch, how many did/did not? What day did you do this eggtopsy on?

4. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    I cracked two of the eggs that didnt hatch for me, full chicks...some fluids in sack...chicks looked very good, EXCEPT...Looked like maybe yolk not fully absorbed.

Post pictures later. Humidity was 1-18 days 35-38%...then as follow:

day 19 50-52%
    day 20 55-58%
    day 21 60-65% and temp 99.6-100.4

TWICE my temps dropped to 96.1 and I dont know for how long. i became sick and couldnt get up to go check my hatch.

5. vpeterson

I used a computer fan to circulate air. My temps stayed pretty steady at 99.5. I use about 4 thermometers which all say something different so I kind of take an average. My hatch started on day 20 and ended on day 22. I did the eggtopsy on day 23. I am calibrating my two hygrometors as we speak and they seem to be about 5% off ( showing too high). so maybe my humidity was lower than I thought.

6. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    A four thermometer average, if they are all off in the same range could be bad. Try calibrating at least one, or getting/making a water wiggler and probe - you do have to calibrate that indoor/outdoor one but then you know absolutely what the temp is IN the egg.

Based on your hatched chicks, I think if you don't have a wiggler, I'd bump your temps up .5 and look for a hatch Finish on 21. I get better rates in that range.

Even a bit cool will produce weaker chicks.

Thermometers are useful, but really what they read matters little if all the wee fuzzies are hatching between 19 and 21 days. And that was my goal... I KNOW something not out by 21 has a problem here. And depending on it's value or extenuating circumstance, help or not as I see fit.

7. vpeterson

Thanks for your advice. The chick that hatched on day 22 is much weaker. It did come from a pullet egg so I was thinking that maybe that is why it was weaker. I have been giving it avian electrolytes, but it just wants to sleep all of the time. It is half the size of the other chicks. I will get out my water wiggler and work on my temps. I will be starting a new hatch in a couple of days.

8. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    I'm hatching all pullet eggs now and yeah they can be difficult even on time.

Run long and yes I think you'd have a thing with later chicks, they're buggers even right on time at times.

It's certainly easier with full sized eggs. LOL.

Better luck next time [​IMG] keep trying you only get this stuff right after LOTS of practice. Especially with weird eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by