Egg Baskets

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by iajewel, Nov 15, 2008.

1. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    I consider my self a smart enough person. I went to collage, I run my own business, I understand that eggs break. Yet I can't seem to convince myself to put the eggs that I gather every day in a basket. I have had eggs in as many as 3 jacket pockets, I have pulled out eggs rather than cash at the store, I have broken eggs in the washing machine, and of course in my jacket pockets.
    I have spent as many years gathering eggs as I have any other act in my life other than feeding livestock and milking. yet the concept of an egg basket evades me.

I was thinking maybe if there was an egg basket that shoots out little chocolates as a reward for putting the egg IN the basket that may help. Maybe one that makes a cute sound? Something that would encourage me to no longer wash eggs in the washing machine with my jackets.

So.. Im asking you all to show me pics of your egg baskets and see who has the most original and different baskets.. don't forget to put where you bought them as Im planning to..... for the first time in my life.... spend money to buy an egg basket.. My penny pinching days are over. Its time for this old dog to learn a new trick..

2. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    I only get one or two a day so I don't need a basket yet. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. iajewel

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    I only have 3 laying right now, with 23 coming up soon.. that didn't stop me from handing the lady at the store today all 3 of them to hold while I found my change..
    Im sure you will need an egg basket soon, about the time you have to rewash your clothes becuse of the eggs you left in your pockets LOL..
    Its those 2 or 3 eggs that get you every time.. [​IMG]

4. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I don't even have chickens yet, but I have an egg basket waiting by the door that I will use to go out to the coop!

Maybe if you place it where you can't avoid it, you'll remember to grab it!

5. iajewel

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    Quote:Part of the trouble is when I go out the door I have feed cans in my hands. My hands are full.. I need a basket with a large handle I think..

Looking forward to peoples photos.. Im sure I will find something that will work for me.. I really want one that spits out chocolate when I put an egg in.. now THAT would help [​IMG]

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It was a Christmas gift basket I reclaimed for an egg basket. Then once in the house the eggs go in a giant ceramic dish on my counter top.

Nothing fancy or special. It does a job and serves a purpose.

[​IMG]

7. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I don't have one but I have seen many cute ones. I'm glad I am not the only one who has broken eggs in a jacket pocket. LOL The last one I dropped just inside my kitchen door on the tile floor so the dog got a nice fresh egg for a treat. I need to stop carrying eggs and a bunch of other things inside at once. I was trying to bring my last pumpkins in before they froze and also bring in eggs I collected and then splat went the egg on the floor.

8. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    How about a pouch that hangs around your neck, like the Peruvian pouches here: http://www.fetpak.com/whstore/main.pl/slist?26

All
    they need is a long string to go around the neck.

They could be made any size, and reinforced with plastic so the eggs wouldn't get crushed.

You could make and sell them on BYC as "egg pouches"! [​IMG]

9. iajewel

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    Lucky you. My dogs only eat out of thier bowl.. so I have to clean up the darn things. My Standard Poodle will take one egg a day from outside and eat it. Only one, and she loves it. I let her. One day she brought me an egg she found and I broke it (not knowing how old it was) and told her it was hers. Now she helps her self to one,everyday.

10. iajewel

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    Missprissy that is a pretty collection of eggs. I can't imagine how many you must have but DANG! It would have to be a BIG bowl on your table for sure..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by