egg baskets

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by warhorse, Apr 2, 2009.

1. warhorse

warhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Cibolo, TX
    I see many egg baskets for sale like this:

[​IMG]

But, I would like to find one rounded like this:

[​IMG]

This one is listed as a "novelty" and is only 3in x 3 in.

Why are the flat sided ones easier to find than the rounded ones? Are the flat ones better somehow? I just like the look of the rounded ones.

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I've never seen a rounded one like that! What a neat basket!

Have you checked Ebay?

3. warhorse

Jun 15, 2008
    Cibolo, TX
    I may have to check ebay when I can. I also wondered if there was a functional advantage to one shape over another. Some of the "flat" ones like the blue pictured above also have very straight sides versus narrowing towards the bottom. I had also seen chicken shaped ones, but that's just a bit too too for me. I just want a nice round one like the bottom photo... wooden handle is nice. I found some "vintage" ones for $400. [​IMG] uh... no...

4. girlsaint

girlsaint Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Just curious about why they are open sided.- Do you soak them in the basket to clean them and then take it out to let them dry?

5. Hattie the Hen

Hattie the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

I have one but I bought it in France many years ago. Mine has thinner metal supports & more of them ; the handle is fixed in an upright position & is all metal. I have used it on a daily basis & it is still perfect. I think it is possible to buy them here in the UK from smart kitchen shops. Try Williams Sonoma in the US; they are a great outlet for Kitchen Stuff! Good Luck in your search [​IMG] Hattie

6. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    not sure if the function would be any different... i bet you could make one if you could get your hands on a soldering iron [​IMG]

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It's always the money. The flat ones are easier and cheaper to make. They are more traditional since they are easier to make. Imagine someone in the thirteenth century trying to survive and needing a basket, They will make the one that is the easiest and most practical to make. Thus the flat ones became "traditional". The flat ones are more versatile. I'd think the round ones are more art than practical.

Disclaimer: This is all my opinion. I really don't know.

editted since I cannot spell on only two cups of coffee

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  8. warhorse

Jun 15, 2008
    Cibolo, TX
    Quote:...probably one could make one even without a soldering iron and just "knot" or "weave" baling wire... but that's just not going to happen with me. [​IMG]

9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Yikes! [​IMG]

10. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Traditional to me is not made out of wire. I like the woven wicker baskets or other wood type material.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by