1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg Baskets

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Break an Egg, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I was looking up some egg baskets, because I just wanted to see what was out there. Some of those things are way over priced.

I got my first egg today from one of my EE's, I had to go and get a basket to place it in. I went to the dollar tree and got a pink metal wire basket for a dollar. And they had plenty of woven baskets there for the same price.

Just giving everyone a heads up. [​IMG]

2. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    I use an old enamel was basin. Works well for me. It gets washed every day! I also use it to gather produce from the garden. It gets used alot!!

3. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    I just use an empty horse supplement bucket (10lb size) with clean pine shavings in the bottom of it for my egg gathering. Keeps them from breaking and was CHEEEEEP! [​IMG]

4. Break an Egg

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I thought all day of what I could use, and came up with nothing, plus I had seen the basket and restrained myself when I should have just bought it, so I guess it was meant to be.

5. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I have a woven basket that I bought for $2.99 at Goodwill.

6. Break an Egg

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I love goodwill!!!!!!! It's great to be thrifty, but lately, if they get something that is actually nice, they are not afraid to ask too much for it.

I love garage sales and the flea markets too. [​IMG]

7. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Once we saw a very old egg basket, and it was bright yellow at a antique shop selling for $40.00! I really wanted it, but assured myself that the Co-op or at least the Berry Hill store would have the same thing for less...

Well we had to make a trip to Berry Hill 3 hours away to get chicken supplies as its the only place to get most things, and they had them in blue for $15.00 [​IMG] I was pleased, and bought two...one to stay at the house and one to hang in the human area of the coop, will never forget a basket this way!

8. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Found a wonderful egg basket (metal) at at yard sale for $6. Cute and old-fashioned....I feel like my grandma when I go to gather eggs! [​IMG]

9. Break an Egg

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    so was it really an antique?

I love to find stuff from other countries, I really don't care too much for how old it is.

Everything has history. The next thing I want to get in a kachina doll, I think that's how you spell it. [​IMG]

10. Break an Egg

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Quote:I feel like a grandma some days and I'm only 25. [​IMG]
    Sometimes it's nice to feel like a grandma though, my grandma kept chickens too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by