1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg binding again

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken Lass, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Chicken Lass

Chicken Lass Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2009
    Hi again. I hate to keep posting this same topic every couple months or so, but the fact is I keep losing a hen every couple months! It's so aggravating. They have all died from some kind of egg-related issue. I had two of them taken to the vet and spent a lot of time and money on all of them to no good. What am I doing wrong? They have a constant supply of layer ration and oyster shell, and get to run around in the yard for grass once in a while. They haven't gotten many table scraps and maybe that's the problem. Before when they were still young I fed them too much scratch - is it possible that that messed up their systems for life? A long time ago they were laying fine. I really want to get this right because I got new chicks that are several wks old now and I want to make sure they become healthy layers. I'm worried that my three other hens who aren't laying eggs will eventually die too. My hen Tortuga is going downhill with green and white poop that's way too small and liquidy, she's very sluggish and she was tying to sit on the nest but nothing was really happening. In all, she has the same exact symptoms of all the rest who died. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong and if there is anything I can do for my remaining non-layers would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    I don't think that you're doing anything wrong... almost sounds like your birds are getting into something toxic like moldy food or something simular...

3. Chicken Lass

Chicken Lass Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2009
    Thanks! I'm going to investigate mold problems and see what I need to change. Does mold mess up their egg laying and cause egg binding? My rooster is doing just fine (he's actually around 13 or 14!) and all my other hens have normal poop at the moment. You may be right though. Thanks again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by