Egg Binding? I don't know! Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by randakay99, Mar 11, 2014.

1. randakay99

randakay99 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2013
    For the past two days I have noticed that Bridget, my almost year old Ameracauna has not laid an egg. I can tell which are hers because they are larger than the others. Her behavior is also completely different than normal. She is not "hanging out" with the other 4 chickens. She goes off to herself and sits on the ground or under her coop and appears to nest. I am new to this so after reading many many threads and videos on the internet the majority said to try the warm water for 20 minutes and Vaseline or KY around the vent. I got a large Rubbermaid container, filled it with enough warm water to cover her to her vent. She did very well. After I did that, I lubricated her vent with Vaseline. I stuck my finger around and didn't feel an egg. If an egg was stuck would I be able to feel it there?? Also, clearish yellowish liquid with tiny white specks came out after that. After all of that, I put her in the garage inside a rabbit cage with lots of hay. I put a heat lamp near the cage and also a small heater to keep her from getting a chill. I also put water in there. I have peeked through the window and I just see her standing there, not laying down, not nesting, just standing.

Am I overreacting? If I didn't feel anything there could there even be a stuck egg?? Please help!!!

2. penxeww

penxeww New Egg

Mar 11, 2014
    I'm sorry to hear that, don't worry, just waiting...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  3. randakay99

Jun 6, 2013
    The waiting is the worst part! [​IMG]

4. randakay99

Jun 6, 2013
    She has not pooped at all overnight and her crop feels squishy and is about the size of a plum.

5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    If you have down a cloacal exam and determined she is not egg bound(birds usually die with 24-48 with egg binding if left untreated)then she may have sour crop,based on your description. Something else to consider is broody.

6. randakay99

Jun 6, 2013
    I don't really think it's broody because she doesn't go into the nesting box and she still slept on top of the coop with the others. She just went up there before everyone, hangs out by herself, I can just tell she is not acting normal. I have massaged her crop twice and nothing has happened. I have read tons of articles that say make them vomit, some that say don't... Some say give apple cider vinegar and some say don't. For every one article that I read there is another contradicting it. I don't know what to do.

7. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    No to vomiting and no to ACV. Several have used monistat(or similar product)or nystatin(antibiotic that treats fungal infections).

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  8. randakay99

Jun 6, 2013
    Ok well I just decided to bring her to the vet to be on the safe side. Will update when we are done.

9. randakay99

Jun 6, 2013
    The vets rarely ever see chickens, but they gave her mineral oil to lube her. He said he doesn't think it's sour crop because there was hardly anything in her crop. She has started pooping and it's a bright yellow color mixed with clear and a little white. I tried feeding her scrambled eggs (I saw that posted somewhere else) and she won't eat it. (Don't blame her.) now I'm going to try yogurt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by