Egg Binding vs. Constipation or Both?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WalkingTreatMachine, Dec 1, 2011.

1. WalkingTreatMachine

WalkingTreatMachine Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2011
    Providence, RI
    Hi, hope someone can help! I've been up all night reading similar topic threads, but none seems to address this particular situation.

My 7 month-old buff orp seems to be having a problem, although she is acting fine; all the other posts had chickens with more symptoms. Until recently, she has been laying about 4-6 eggs a week. I haven't seen an egg from her in at least 3 or four days but I was away for a couple of days before that, so it could be more like a week.

I think she also could be constipated. I only have 3 hens and it is easy to tell whose is whose by the location under their roost, and their poop has always looked distinctively different from one another. (I check them at bedtime and see where they are roosting, and also shovel every morning under the roost). My orp did not poop last night, and I thought the night before as well. She seems to have a soft, full area below her vent. The weird thing, is that she is not acting sick other than having a slightly turned-down tail. The other two girls seem to be fine.

She is inside now in a nest box with water and just a few sesame seeds which she loves, to keep her busy, since she still wants to eat. She is eating fine, and she is not displaying any other symptoms as far as I can tell. So far, I have given her a warm bath, checked her crop (but I will have to wait until morning again, as She got to the feeder this am before I got to her), and now am just waiting for a poop or an egg. I am on my way to get her some yogurt now while she is resting.

Can egg binding cause constipation or the other way around? Anything else I might try to figure out what the root problem is so I can treat effectively? Thanks so much in advance!!

2. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    Eggs and poop come out the same vent, so if it's blocked, everything is blocked. Turn her over, wash her with warm water, and rub olive oil on her cloaca (vent).

You can wear a rubber glove, coat a finger with KY jelly, and insert the finger gently in the vent, use a hooking motion to pull out anything in there. If she remains blocked and you don't clear her out it can turn really bad- I'm about to post a new thread about that.

3. WalkingTreatMachine

WalkingTreatMachine Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2011
    Providence, RI
    Thank you, Gargoyle- I will try your suggestions, and. Gleaned some info from your thread as well. I hope your little girl recovers! It sounds like you and your wife are doing a great job to help her out- nice to have a nurse around!

Update- she pooped! Less than a half hour after starting on the yogurt. Her droppings look normal, and also I forgot to mention that she isn't nesting like with egg-binding. She hasn't scratched out a nest in her usual spot in days, so maybe she has stopped laying for the winter due to lack of light and is just constipated? If she doesn't continue to poop, A will try clearing her out and see if that helps!

Thank you so much, good luck with your girl as well!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by