Egg binding?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marcid, Aug 20, 2014.

1. marcid

marcid Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2014
    My 23 week old black australorp laid her first egg Sunday (at least I believe it was her first--someone laid an egg Saturday but our chicken sitter found it).

Since then, I've noticed her go into the nesting box and spend time there (once today and once yesterday) and not lay an egg. The shavings are all rustled up like she's made a nice little spot, but no egg.

Just trying to rule out a problem. I'm new to this and this may be normal first-few-days of egg-laying behavior. Just thought it was odd and worried that she may be struggling. She is acting totally normal as far as I can tell.

Thanks in advance for any advice. We have four chickens and two recently started laying, her included.

2. marcid

Mar 26, 2014
    Anyone?

3. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Egg binding usually occurs in birds who are older, or who are weakened by poor nutrition, severe cold, worms and disease.

They exhibit a hunched appearance with ruffled feathers, are lethargic and droopy, and will sit on the floor. You may also see her pumping her tail up and down in an effort to expel the egg.

I think, while it is possible for your girl to be egg-bound, it is more likely that she is just taking a little break. When they first start laying, it is not unusual for them to be irregular in their laying, and to skip a few days here and there. It takes time for them to establish a regular laying pattern.

You can also expect that some egg anomalies may occur, which are also not unusual in a new layer: Shell-less eggs, soft shells, yolk-less eggs, tiny eggs, double yolkers etc.

If she appears to be in good health otherwise, is eating, drinking and alert, I would not worry about her. She is just taking her time [​IMG]

- Krista

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  4. marcid

Mar 26, 2014
    Thank you Krista! She seems perfectly fine, just spending time in the nest box without a result. Appreciate your helpful response!

5. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    My pleasure.

I know that it is really hard not to stress about them, particularly since there is so much information available.

Even I seem to swing from one worry to the next, which is exactly what owning chickens is not meant to be about!

I would just keep a quiet eye on her and see what happens. I suspect you will have another egg shortly [​IMG]

Please keep me posted.

- Krista

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by