Egg boing hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pinkjeanne, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Pinkjeanne

Pinkjeanne Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2014
    I'm writing about a 2 year old Americana hen. She had been fine, active & eating well. Yesterday acted ok, but broody. Today she is listless, eyes closed. She did walk out of hen house to eat, but then just sat on the ground & slept. Her vent looks swollen & there is a lot of creamy white drainage around the vent & surrounding feathers. I did a gentle digital exam & did not feel anything. Doing warm baths, heat, gentle massage, lubricated vent,... everything I read in articles on this site. No stores around her carry liquid calcium, so I y
    Have been trying small pieces of calcium tabs for humans, as the article suggested. My birds eat a good diet, oyster shell is available to them, & I sprinkle ground egg shells in their food. How would I know if the egg broke inside her? Is there anything else I should do?

2. BoomChickaPop

BoomChickaPop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns
    If an egg broke inside her there is nothing you can do
    Could you post a picture of her?
    She might be egg bound is her butt pulsing?

3. Pinkjeanne

Apr 2, 2014
    Her butt isn't pulsing, but she does have the reflex of tightening her vent when I touch it. And as I said, a lot of thick white discharge. I don't know how to post a picture. I have import images checked, but don't know what to do next. She just looks like a lethargic he, droopy wings, eyes closed.

4. Pinkjeanne

Apr 2, 2014
    I think I replied in the wrong place. Her butt isn't pulsating but she does reflex by tightening her vent when I touch it. Thick white discharge from vent. I don't know how to post pic, but she looks really sick.

5. Pinkjeanne

Apr 2, 2014
    My poor little Pee Wee just died. She was a sweet heart. I think I was just too late in treating her.

6. CalicoPrairie

CalicoPrairie Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2012
    Riverside County, CA
    Oh Pinkjeanne, so sorry about your baby. I lost my girl today as well. Chickens are hard to diagnose.

7. BoomChickaPop

BoomChickaPop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns
    I am so sorry
    I just had a young Brahma hen die last night she was gasping for air until she died no idea what happened

8. Pinkjeanne

Apr 2, 2014
    Thank you. I read that if you don't feel an egg with a digital exam that it probably isn't egg binding. But other than that, she really did have the symptoms. Maybe it had broken inside her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by