Egg bound 2 year old lavender orpington.

Cool_Catrules456

Songster
Apr 1, 2022
FL. U.S.A
My 2 year old LO is egg bound, she has been egg bound for nearly a week! I noticed it a few days ago (around 4) she has been getting salt baths and has been separated. But nothing seems to be working 100%, she seems fine other than it being hard for her to walk.

I’ve started to massage the area where the egg is. I’ve noticed one of the eggs is no longer where it used to be (towards the vent) now theres one towards where her breastplate is. IDK if she is egg bound or not. Everything I’ve read says death after 48 hours. Its been at least five of her going to the nesting box yet no egg ( I assumed broody behavior until day 3. She stoped walking on day 3.)

her diet is of layer feed and oyster shells. She is free fed, allways has access to feed.

I got her soaking now, it seems one of her legs could be twisted/broken? I will look into that after she is done. (I will also try vaseline on her vent just to make sure, incase she is egg bound)

My 2 year old LO is egg bound, she has been egg bound for nearly a week! I noticed it a few days ago (around 4) she has been getting salt baths and has been separated. But nothing seems to be working 100%, she seems fine other than it being hard for her to walk.

I’ve started to massage the area where the egg is. I’ve noticed one of the eggs is no longer where it used to be (towards the vent) now theres one towards where her breastplate is. IDK if she is egg bound or not. Everything I’ve read says death after 48 hours. Its been at least five of her going to the nesting box yet no egg ( I assumed broody behavior until day 3. She stoped walking on day 3.)

her diet is of layer feed and oyster shells. She is free fed, allways has access to feed.

I got her soaking now, it seems one of her legs could be twisted/broken? I will look into that after she is done. (I will also try vaseline on her vent just to make sure, incase she is egg bound)
Forgot to mention its dumor layer. And the oyster shells are off to the side.

One of her hips is dislocated, what do I do for that? And for the no egg qustion perhaps she is going broody? All though no breast feathers have been plucked. Or maybe she is beginning to molt?

If you are feeling eggs inside her and something is pushing her leg out of place I think she has issues different than broodiness. I know that there are other types of calcium that can sometimes help with laying issues @Wyorp Rock Do you have any ideas about this?
The thing is this is new. This has never happened to this hen before, I don’t think shes egg bound, as there is no egg peeking through her vent. Perhaps she ate it? If so she may indeed be calcium deficient.

I just mixed an egg shell and some water to make a paste. I gave it to her in a plastic syringe. I don’t have access to any other type of calcium for the moment, and I am hoping that helps in the meantime.

Im not sure what is going on with her, but I wish to help. She seems fine other than what I’ve noticed. A little tired, but I can imagine why. Ive read about water belly, but the lump feels too firm compared to what people are talking about. Im going to Monitor her until I notice anything, else and hope she passes it.

Can you please post photos of her, how she stands and of her poop?

I'm a bit confused - you feel an egg - where? Tell me according to the diagram below. You say there's 2 eggs and one is where her breastplate is?
Now a leg is twisted and a hip is dislocated? What does that mean - literally twisted and you can feel the hip is dislocated or is it that she's having difficulty moving about and standing at an odd angle?

If she's pooping, then she's not egg bound, she may be having trouble expelling an egg, but after this many days she'd been in a state of decline.
Getting some calcium into her is a very good idea.
You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

See that she's staying hydrated and can reach food.

1680318031596.jpeg

Can you please post photos of her, how she stands and of her poop?

I'm a bit confused - you feel an egg - where? Tell me according to the diagram below. You say there's 2 eggs and one is where her breastplate is?
Now a leg is twisted and a hip is dislocated? What does that mean - literally twisted and you can feel the hip is dislocated or is it that she's having difficulty moving about and standing at an odd angle?

If she's pooping, then she's not egg bound, she may be having trouble expelling an egg, but after this many days she'd been in a state of decline.
Getting some calcium into her is a very good idea.
You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

See that she's staying hydrated and can reach food.

View attachment 3451094
I thought the leg could be twisted as when she was in the water she held her leg out at a odd angle, but it seems her hip is dislocated, when checking the lump, I noticed her right hip was farther out (towards me and slightly to the right. when her vent is facing me) than the other while having her stand up straight.

There is no egg stuck in the vent, I don’t think its even an egg, it feels too firm to be an organ, but it could be the duodenal loop. (Around there anyways) looking at that makes me even more confused.

And she is not in a decline (at the moment), she is stagnant right now, she just seems to have trouble walking is the only issue, I don’t want to make her walk as she seems to be in pain when she does. (Perhaps she fell off the perch?) we have one 15 Inches off the ground. But there is one 3 feet off the ground in the run. (For the pullets to flee up to when transitioning)

Right now, I have her in a small tote with water and layer feed, she is not showing much interest in the water, but her comb and wattles are still red like she has been drinking it.

I will try to get one of her poo tomorrow. I dont have one of her standing. (Its basically the way all the pictures of egg bound hens look online) and I don’t really want to force her to. Right now keeping her to eating and drinking is my main priority.
1A362E08-002E-4289-8513-DE838334F74A.jpeg
This is the newest one of her.
I will get more photos tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom