1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Egg bound 6mo Bantam Cochin

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by feather16, Jan 12, 2018.

1. feather16

feather16 Chirping

Jul 30, 2017
    CA, USA
    98331828-6071-4359-9E31-8EE63C3D3AC0.jpeg EEC7F576-41C1-42AA-AAA2-EB7942FE625C.jpeg BC840D58-19B2-4B29-9A66-96CEC418249C.jpeg I noticed my sweet little girl was no longer the first one out of the coop but the very last, and pretty lethargic. I figured it was the weather change, and maybe she didn’t like the cold. Over the next couple days I noticed she’d be under the coop most the day. One day she came out for some treats (grateful to see her actually eat a morsel of anything) I went to pet her and she just melted to the ground, so I picked her up and she is serverly underweight! Never would’ve known with all her fluff. I noticed she had a messier behind than usual, so I called the vet and took a warm cloth to wipe/soften some of the mess. Long story longer, my girl is egg bound on her very first egg. The vet thinks it’s the weird Northern California weather, warm one day and cold and rainy the next. He’s seen quite a few this month already.
    She got a shot of hormones, in hopes to restart her cycle and I’ve given her nightly baths (2nights) well, more like a hiney soak. She seems to really enjoy them, with her poor swollen little uterus.
    She’s interested in food, but will just peck at it once or twice. Hopefully she’s eating a little more when she’s out in the coop when I’m not around. No one is bullying her, she’ll hang out with the others lounging and no one hoards the treats when she comes around.
    So I’m officially doing all that I know to do, any tips are welcome. I just hope my little sweet pea gets through this, she’s the sweetest little thing.

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    So sorry! Did she also get calcium, and is their diet balanced, and oyster shell offered separately? Any chance the egg can be 'eased' out of there? It's especially hard to use a young one!
    Mary

3. Trish1974

Trish1974 Crowing

Mar 16, 2016
    North Central IN
    My Coop
    Good luck with your girl. I hope she pulls through. She is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!

feather16 likes this.
  4. feather16

feather16 Chirping

Jul 30, 2017
    CA, USA
    Hm, I know nothing of ‘easing’ the egg out. He told me to look for a gross looking egg mess. They are still on starter crumble (I was told to keep them on that until the first egg?) Gosh, I hope that wasn’t my mistake not offering her what she needs!

5. feather16

feather16 Chirping

Jul 30, 2017
    CA, USA
    Thank you! :)

6. Folly's place

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Starter should be fine, just add that oyster shell dish too.
    Some individuals have issues that are nobody's fault, just bad luck/ genetics. It's always going to be a favorite!
    Sometimes a calcium injection helps, that's why I asked.
    About diet; do you check mill dates on your feed, and only buy fresh? It's likely not related to this problem, but in general, older food isn't worth buying. I want to feed mine within about six weeks of the mill date.
    Mary

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  7. feather16

feather16 Chirping

Jul 30, 2017
    CA, USA
    I will get oyster shell right away, thank you! I do tend to buy the feed stores bags, I feel it is fresher. However, my mother in law bought this last bag, and it’s big.. maybe I’ll just dump the rest and buy a fresh one. Thank you for your input! These are my first chicks so it’s all a learning experience for me. Thanks again Mary!
    Tiffany

PennyM likes this.

8. feather16

feather16 Chirping

Jul 30, 2017
    CA, USA
    Well, when I let the chicks out this morning and I checked on my little hen, she had passed. Super bummed out, she was my favourite little girl. I did all I knew to do, but now I know for the future if this happens. At least her last night was a delightful spa evening, so I’m happy with that

9. Folly's place

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    So sorry!
    Mary

10. PennyM

PennyM Songster

Apr 17, 2017
    Greenville, SC
    Oh, I'm so sorry. She was a pretty little girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by