egg bound and bath didnt work

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jesusfreak101, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Ok so turns out my black sex link hen is egg bound i gave her a bath this morning and gently massaged her then put vaseline in and on her vent. Two/three hours later she went into the nesting box and did not lay an egg when i checked after she got out. Anything else i can do. I cant feel an egg at all she swollen in her abdomen out side of that she acts normal. She eats, chase bugs and other hens. She drinks and she talks she acts completely normal. She one of ny favorite girls i really want to help her but outside of what i done and waiting and watching i dont know what else to do. I cant afford the vet as we having a baby in the next few months so yeah [​IMG].

2. Oglan

Oglan Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2015
    New Hampshire
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She could be laying internally, which is a common disorder in high production birds. How old is she?

4. Jesusfreak101

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    She about six months old she just started laying she only laid two eggs one completely normal the other was just a membrane that was hanging out i dont know if there was a yolk or whites or not or if the there was if it stayed inside or not. I did a bath then and vaseline as well to help. She hasnt laid since that egg.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That can be common in internal layers. Broken or shell-less eggs can be a set up for egg yolk peritonitis. Antibiotics such as enrofloxacin can help to prolong life, but this is a very common condition in hens who produce great numbers of eggs.

6. Jesusfreak101

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    How long is prolonging and is that in her best interest, right now she not suffering (doesnt appear to be) but will that change.

7. Macksy

Macksy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2015
    South Africa
    Oh I so feel your frustration!
    I had the same happen to my favourite this week. I did the bath and ky and then no change
    She wasn't happy being away from her 3 sisters so I put her back. Waited til roosting time and then Brought her back in and instead a bath I kept her in a cage and put her over a hot Epsom salt sink and gave her a steam for half an hour (topping up hot water to keep steam going). Then gave her another ky application (in and out). Put her in a car board box and in the morning there was her first egg. Then she laid another today and I still feel 1 more but she's back with her sisters. I also gave her scrambled egg with calcium powder supplement. It worked!!!!
    The first time I couldn't feel an egg internally but could feel 2 externally. By second steaming I could feel egg internally. So try again. Good luck!!!!!

8. Jesusfreak101

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Only problem is she been like this for several days no and she hasnt acted any different in that time i keep leaning more towards laying internally then actually being egg bound. I dont know much about chickens expect from what i have read but when a hen egg bound she acts like she in pain and doesnt feel good as to were internally laying they can just be swollen and squish abdomen to touch which is what i have felt. At this point i feel like am just mourning already. I am almost 9 months pregnant so its hard for me to catch her. Some days she doesnt mind be held other days she wants nothing to do with me. We talked about taking her to the vet but we just cant afford it. Just for the visit its 35 thats with out test and with out xray. With all the dr appointment for me and my daughter lately we just dont have the extra money i have to take my daughter to get a nother xray today so i dont know if i am just tired or feel hopeless when it comes to her or not. I dont want to give up but i feel like if this is going to be a regular thing with her i am not sure its a good ideal for her to prolong her suffering.

9. Macksy

Macksy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2015
    South Africa
    I understand. It's difficult. With my Poppy (RIR) I felt her egg 5 days ago and as she wasn't in distress I left it as she kept going to the box and as this is my first experience having back yard chickens I didn't have a clue. Only when I felt 2 did I think I had to do something. Still she was eating, drinking, pooping and carrying on as usual. First try didn't work but I decided to try again knowing I HAD to or she would end up at the vet which I also cannot afford. So with a bit of perseverance and a little prayer I tried again and it worked. So don't give up just yet. You can do it. [​IMG]

10. Jesusfreak101

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Only problem is i dont feel an egg even when felt inside her vent there was no egg at all.i might try again in a bit if i can catch her and see if i feel anything but its been about a week now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by