Egg Bound and Prolapsed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Abbey2013, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Abbey2013

Abbey2013 New Egg

Oct 7, 2013
    I am confused. I have been reading lot of posts, and our chickens problem sound like Egg Bound/Prolapse.

The Egg is protruding on the outside of the chickens body. Covered in spotty bloodly membrain & poo mess. So much of the egg
    is out it is hard to believe it would no just fall off. So we placed her is a warm water bath for 20 minutes, and
    cleaned her off the best we could. Then we put her is a separate cage for the night. The reason I am confused
    is it appears the top of the egg is attached to something. I should have been able to just gently remove it as it is
    basically just hanging there. The largest part of the egg has already been expelled. ?? Now what.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i dont have experince with this but the pics ive seen, when a hen lays her oviduct is supposed to turn out with the egg . so probably by morning she will finish. i take it its a soft shelled egg? a little oil around her vent might help. hope some one with experince can help better but i wouldnt pull it out yet

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Someone recently just had the same situation here on the emergency thread in the last weekif you want to search back a few days. Give some calcium to the hen right away--a crushed Tums, calcium tablet, or eggshells. Repeat the very warm bath to relax her muscles.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I finally found the thread. It was posted byDiodado. Their chicken had the egg stuck for as long while, and had to keep soaking her for a long time keeping the water very warm. They got the egg out, but she had a prolapsed vent which she kept pushing back in and treated with honey and Preparation H to shrink the prolapse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by