egg bound and soft shell problem - any thoughts please?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by skyblu, Feb 11, 2013.

1. skyblu

skyblu Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2013
    Devon, UK
    my cuckoo maran pullet started to lay in December and was laying beautiful dark, hard shelled eggs, and right from the start they were a very good size (large to extra large). Then suddenly she stopped - for a week nothing much happened then she started to look unwell, so I checked and she had all the signs of being egg bound. However warm water bath etc didn't shift the egg and I couldn't feel a definite hard egg inside so let nature take its course

A week or so later she laid a teeny tiny completely round egg, but unmistakably hers due to colour and speckles (it was hard shelled) - so I figured that she couldn't have been egg bound after all...but no more eggs..

another week later she finally laid the most massive soft shelled egg, complete with rather nasty umbilical cord type thing attached to the outside. In the meantime she is acting normal, eating, lively and seems her normal self.

a few days later she laid another 2 soft shelled eggs in the same night (they landed one on top of each other under her perch - one again had the umbilical cord thing attached. Still seems well in herself.

then nothing more for another week until today - just found a massive soft shelled egg that can only be hers - completely jelly-like, with no formed shell at all (but a lovely big dark yolk!!) as you can see the yolk through the membrane. She's now looking rather sorry for herself and not even very interested in her afternoon treat - just had a half hearted peck at it and wandered off.

Any ideas as to whether she will come through this? has anyone else had similar?

2. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    Sounds like she needs some calcium try crushing egg shells a feed them back to her or buy some oyster shell. I went through some soft eggs and even no shell eggs with mine but it didn't last more than a week or so. Takes them some time to get their system in check.
    One of my customers saves all the shells she gets from my eggs she buys. I pulverize them and mix with their feed.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  3. skyblu

skyblu Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2013
    Devon, UK
    thanks for replying Diana - they already have oyster shell as well as their layers pellets and they free range, so I'm not sure what is going on....hopefully she'll pick up and get back to her previous lovely egg form

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by