EGG BOUND :(. Anything else I can do??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ksmith454, Feb 17, 2013.

1. ksmith454

ksmith454 New Egg

Feb 17, 2013
    Yesterday I went to check on my girls and one of my largest friendliest but Orpington girls (who usually is very excited to see me) seemed very lethargic. She looked perfectly fine: Bright red comb and waddles, bright eyes, but was not very lively. I let them out to free range thinking it would liven her up a bit. Today when I went to check on her, she was sitting on the bottom of the wire coop floor. I picked her up, and separated her into a smaller coop with nice shavings, fresh food and water (with electrplytes). Then I got to thinking maybe she's egg bound??? She just kind of lays there with her feathers all ruffled and sort of grunts every now and then.

The first thing I did was boil a bucket of water, and then held her over the warm steam to loosen up her muscles for about 10 min. Then came back about 30 min later; still no egg. Then I have her a warm soaking for 20 min (which she seemed to enjoy quite well), dried we off and let her stand in the warm sun. She would not hardly move, she just stood there for 5 min looking around. Then I went to my last resource: I used petroleum jelly to try and find the egg. I could not find the egg at all. I also gave her a bit of banana with olive oil in it to help try and squeeze the egg out.

So I am not quite sure if she's egg bound or not. She hasn't pooped at all since I put her in the smaller cage (4 hrs ago) except for a bit of poop coming from her vent now and then. She won't really get up unless I pick her up and she won't eat or drink unless I place the food/water directly in front of her - then she will nibble and drink a bit.

Is there ANYONE who can help me out with this??? It sounds like she's bound up but I'm honestly out of things to try and help my hen out.

ANY advice/help would be much appreciated!!! Thanks all :). I am really hoping/praying she comes out of what ever she has!

2. etammy

etammy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2012
    sounds like she is sick. The baths will help if she is egg bound, but she might not be either, you know either way I find if the hen likes the warm bath it at least makes them feel better. Just do your best to support her while she is not well. Give her access to food and water. A small amount of electrolyte solution in the water would help. I find if you get some water into them first they may eat a bit afterwards. I am helping a sick hen also, it is hard to remember that they do get sick from many things it seems. Check her over for bugs and worms, I would not de worm or antibiotics unless you know or at least think you know what is going on. I have had them die no matter how hard I tried and I have had a not always well hen live to 4 years old with some help when she was not well. Good luck

3. ksmith454

ksmith454 New Egg

Feb 17, 2013

Thank you for the advice. I am stumped becuase she's not sitting funny like a normal egg bound hen, but then again she hasn't pooped at all. I will give her another warm bath tonight... What do you think about a heating lamp for her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by