Egg bound Araucana???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cluckcluckluke, Jan 6, 2013.

1. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

The story- I bought 2 Araucana laying hens about 3-4 months ago. The smaller one of the two started laying straight away, the second larger one hasn't laid a single egg up until about 1 week ago when she laid just 1 egg but since then she hasn't laid a single egg but a couple of mornings she went up into the nest boxes and sat there for a bit but then gives up. She isn't molting and isn't POL.

If she is egg bound then how can I test it and then treat her for it???

2. Familyochickens

Familyochickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2012
    Indiana
    I haven't had this issue, know that others have, I have heard of giving some olive oil to help, giving the chicken a bath as well. HTH

3. cluckcluckluke

Do I just put the olive oil in her water and giving a bath to this chicken i going to be a challenge.lol.

4. jewel1

jewel1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2012
    Search for egg bound at the top of the page and you'll get pages and pages of advice. From what I've read about it, if the chicken is egg-bound, they get very sick very quickly and can die...so if she seems oterhwise healthy, that probably isn't the problem.

With it being winter and having shorter days, many hens stop laying or lay infrequently. I saw a a post the other day mentioning that Easter Eggers past their first year seem to be poor winter layers..

5. Familyochickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Indiana
    just a couple of drops in their beak, not a squirt, don't want it going into the lungs

6. cluckcluckluke

I will have to have a good look, She is fine at the moment eating, drinking, roosting. I'm in Australia so it's summer here (prime laying time here) so she has full days to lay eggs in and she isn't molting. Maybe the trip has completely prevented her from laying or she is just slowly easing back into the laying process.

7. jewel1

Jun 2, 2012
    Ah...never mind about the winter comment, then! [​IMG]

Not sure what the problem is. How old do you think she is? Do you give her access to calcium (like Oyster shells?) You could be right that it is just the stress of the move....

Oh, and apparently (I've never tried it), everyone on here that has to give their chicken a bath says the chickens love it. They almost fall asleep in the warm water.

8. Familyochickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Indiana
    but no soap, you don't want to wash away their natural oils, just fyi

9. cluckcluckluke

She doesn't have access to straight shells but free ranges nearly all day and I've been told not to bother with the shells if they fee range. The move was over 4 months ago though. I reckon she's just finishing her first year or going into her second year (could be wrong though). I hope your right with the bath, she's a prickly little hen.

10. jewel1

Jun 2, 2012
    Let us know if you try the bath and how she's doing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by