Egg bound? Can't feel an egg?

Sunshyne276

Songster
9 Years
Jun 10, 2010
Richlands, Virginia
Ok, so I was recently given some chickens.. They were in "ok" health from what I could tell (new to chickens, but have spent a LOT of time researching). Some of them look a bit ratty, from an aggressive rooster, scratching feathers off their backs. They are a bit thin, and VERY hungry when I got them home and fed them. But, no signs off mites, lice, worms, anything serious thay I could see.

One of them, a Golden Comet, is not doing well. She was sitting in the corner yesterday evening, with her left wing drooping. I separated her, and she was walking a bit clumsy, off balance. Making a gurgle sound (upper respitory or is she stressed from trying to pass an egg?). She does eat and drink, in small amounts. She's alert, when I feed the other chickens and she sees it, she tries so hard to get to where they are, but is week.

She seems to be straining a lot, and her vent area is very swollen today. She does pass dropping, but also some watery stuff, some of which looks like cooked egg whites. =/ She relaxed in an oil bath today (warm water + oilve oil) for about 1/2 an hour. During this time, she secretes clouds of white "stuff", and a blackish glob (tubular, but in a pile it's about the size of a quarter). I tried to feel around for an egg gently, both externally and internally (ew, that was the nastiest feeling ever, but anything to try to save her life) - and, I didn't feel much of anything that I would believe to be an egg.

Does this sound like a bound egg, or something else?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Well, just an update in case anyone seen this thread and wondered, she is doing better today.
Gave her a warm oil bath last night, massaged her tummy..
She wouldn't eat or drink. I had to force a small bit of medicated water (Duramycin, electrolyte/vitamins, calcium)..
Then, this morning she was moving around more, not leaking what looked a lot like eggdrop soup, and has a huge appetite.
She seems so much more alert! So.. I'm hopeful she continues to improve.

Back
Top Bottom