Egg bound? Can't feel an egg?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sunshyne276, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Sunshyne276

Sunshyne276 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Richlands, Virginia
    Ok, so I was recently given some chickens.. They were in "ok" health from what I could tell (new to chickens, but have spent a LOT of time researching). Some of them look a bit ratty, from an aggressive rooster, scratching feathers off their backs. They are a bit thin, and VERY hungry when I got them home and fed them. But, no signs off mites, lice, worms, anything serious thay I could see.

One of them, a Golden Comet, is not doing well. She was sitting in the corner yesterday evening, with her left wing drooping. I separated her, and she was walking a bit clumsy, off balance. Making a gurgle sound (upper respitory or is she stressed from trying to pass an egg?). She does eat and drink, in small amounts. She's alert, when I feed the other chickens and she sees it, she tries so hard to get to where they are, but is week.

She seems to be straining a lot, and her vent area is very swollen today. She does pass dropping, but also some watery stuff, some of which looks like cooked egg whites. =/ She relaxed in an oil bath today (warm water + oilve oil) for about 1/2 an hour. During this time, she secretes clouds of white "stuff", and a blackish glob (tubular, but in a pile it's about the size of a quarter). I tried to feel around for an egg gently, both externally and internally (ew, that was the nastiest feeling ever, but anything to try to save her life) - and, I didn't feel much of anything that I would believe to be an egg.

Does this sound like a bound egg, or something else?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  2. Sunshyne276

Jun 10, 2010
    Richlands, Virginia
    Anyone have any advice, or know if this sounds like something other than an "egg bound" issue?

3. Sunshyne276

Jun 10, 2010
    Richlands, Virginia
    Well, just an update in case anyone seen this thread and wondered, she is doing better today.
    Gave her a warm oil bath last night, massaged her tummy..
    She wouldn't eat or drink. I had to force a small bit of medicated water (Duramycin, electrolyte/vitamins, calcium)..
    Then, this morning she was moving around more, not leaking what looked a lot like eggdrop soup, and has a huge appetite.
    She seems so much more alert! So.. I'm hopeful she continues to improve.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by