HELP!! Egg bound chicken with prolapsed vent

Jan 25, 2021
Hi everyone. I am recently back in to raising chickens after doing some raising of them as a teenager. My one chicken has a prolapsed vent but is also egg bound. I can see the egg. Tried yesterday night to put it in water with Epsom salts. Tried massaging her abdomen. She wont eat any calcium but will drink small amounts of water when offered. Besides the vet is there anything else I could do for the chicken?

Hi everyone. I am recently back in to raising chickens after doing some raising of them as a teenager. My one chicken has a prolapsed vent but is also egg bound. I can see the egg. Tried yesterday night to put it in water with Epsom salts. Tried massaging her abdomen. She wont eat any calcium but will drink small amounts of water when offered. Besides the vet is there anything else I could do for the chicken?
This might or not might work. Sometimes my birds drive me crazy running around singing the egg song in and out of a nest box. etc. So I will get them in the nest box and stroke them from shoulders all the way to the end of their tail. Putting just a little pressure on the rump area. IDK if it works but they seem to lay their egg quickly after that. Can't hurt to try it. Don't squeeze their rump area and lower tail area just put some gentle pressure on it. Seems when my feet are cold and I want to go in the house they take forever to lay. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom