Egg Bound Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shawna123, Aug 8, 2011.

1. shawna123

shawna123 New Egg

Aug 8, 2011
    hey everyone, I found one of our chickens and she appeared to be egg bound. i massaged her vent with warm water and a soft shelled egg did come out. I am 100% sure that the entire shell came out with it but she still appears to be quite swollen. I continued massaging but nothing else came out. I understand that she wont just shrink back to normal right away but how can i be sure that she doesn't have more eggs stuck in her? I seperated her from the rest of our flock but not sure what to do next. If anyone has any advise I would really appreciate it!
    Thanks!

2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    So she's bigger than the other girls? How is her demeanor? I'm not sure swelling would necessarily be indicative of egg binding. You could give her a long warm bath and probe carefully with a finger and some olive oil. Or you could try some antibiotic and wait and see as long as she doesn't seem to be in distress. I guess I might be inclined to probe with the olive oil at the very least to add some lubrication and use a dropper to get some water, calcium and some plain aspirin in her then again I might not. If she's out running around with the rest of the girls I don't think you have anything to worry about.

3. shawna123

shawna123 New Egg

Aug 8, 2011
    she just kinda stands there quietly while the other girls are pecking around. Def more swollen then the others too. Thanks for the advice!

4. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    Okay, then maybe it would be good to intervene because if she's not eating she'll waste away. I'm thinking the fluid build up is probably peritonitis (although that doesn't really explain the soft shell although it could be hit or miss). It could be ascites but I don't know much about that.

Has she been laying up until now? It might be best to try a feel inside (might as well give her a bath while you're at it). I like to use the Adam's Plus Flea and Tick Shampoo and follow up with the same in spray. I'll use a q-tip under the wattles and around the ears. You ever give a chicken an ear rub? [​IMG]

If you don't feel anything (if she's peritonitis you won't be able to feel far) and in either case some oral antibiotics can reduce the symptoms of peritonitis.

There is a fluid draining process some of us use with a large needle and syringe and I'd recommend using it with antibiotics as well. It might be something to think about but you can try antibiotics for a few days. You always want to drain on the right side. There's some good threads on the subject of "how to".

In the meantime you'll have to be proactive about getting food in her because they tend to just waste away like that. I have one right now I'm always favoring with the orchard's bounty and I pull her aside once a day and feed her something with some antibiotic sprinkled on.

They also tend to not take care of themselves you you'll have to be proactive on the delousing. You should think about a worming program if you haven't already. You should keep her bottom clean (I keep some soap and a towel out by a spicket near the coop).

I don't know how long she's been like this but she could be dehydrated too. You can use a dropper with water and a splash of gatorade. Drip it on top of the beak because it flows around down into the mouth so she must swallow.

5. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    Also, I've used my bare hands for the inside check [​IMG] although lately I've been using some latex gloves. They have 'just one chute' so to speak and there's the possibility of internal parasites. Definitely don't do it with an open wound.

Generally you should be able to feel straight in from the vent and around. Don't go downward because that's 'the other chute'. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by