Egg bound chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MandiRock, Feb 27, 2012.

1. MandiRock

MandiRock Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2011
    Central Mississippi
    I posted this (https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/632883/hen-missing-feathers-from-her-butt-pic) yesterday about my white rock, but after observing her today I think she might be egg bound. She is VERY swollen, much larger than the other girls and she wasn't that way a few days ago. Recently I've seen one soft shell egg and 2 very brittle shelled eggs, all of which were broken when I found them. I suspect they came from her. If she is egg bound what can I do for her? Does she absolutely HAVE to see a vet or can I help her from home? I saw her pointing her tain downward at the ground today which was the red flag I noticed. Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

2. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    if you type in treating Egg Bound into the search engine on here you should be able to find some good advice. It happens a lot unfortunately. Some say to break the egg, soak in epsom salt, see if she will pass it etc. I have no experience with this, but I have read alot on it.

3. MandiRock

MandiRock Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2011
    Central Mississippi
    I have given her a warm bath and massaged her belly. Right now she is in a wire cage over some warm water. I noticed that she has started leaking some white liquid out of her vent :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by