Egg Bound Chickens. New cure?

klondike24680

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 6, 2012
Sheridan' Wyoming
My Coop
My Coop
So I am a owner of currently 3 chickens right now. One hen of that small flock had just started laying eggs, when I noticed she was pacing in and out of her coop, straining. I thought she was just trying to lay her second egg. Then I noticed draggy wings and her tail kinda lopsided. She also kept on sitting down in places she would never sit down. Then it went on to lots of drinkin a little loss in appitite. Thats when I really worried. I actually cried a little when I knew what was going on. I was afraid to try getting out the egg or any other thing because I didn't want to risk her life. So I decided to let nature take its course.

The very next morning when I expected the worse, she was right as rain! All her symptoms were gone (except her tail was still a little lopsided) she was active, her wings weren't dragging, she wasn't straining, she had a good appitite, she wasnt sitting down everywhere, and everything else.

Is this common, is she still okay, Is there a reasonable explanation for this, did she heal on her own ( get the egg out)?

I Need Answers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

she could have been trying to pass a shell-less egg. New layers sometimes pass them on the roost, or in odd places. It is very hard to pass the soft egg, as there is nothing for them to push on, like with a hard egg shell. She is a new layer, and it happens probably more than we think! If they eat it, there is no evidence. I watched one of my new layers straining, wings down, not acting right. When she finally passed a soft egg, she immediately turned around and ate it. I think she has done this before because she grabbed it soooo fast before I could reach for it. I'm sure your hen will be fine, soon as her egg laying factory gets going.

she could have been trying to pass a shell-less egg. New layers sometimes pass them on the roost, or in odd places. It is very hard to pass the soft egg, as there is nothing for them to push on, like with a hard egg shell. She is a new layer, and it happens probably more than we think! If they eat it, there is no evidence. I watched one of my new layers straining, wings down, not acting right. When she finally passed a soft egg, she immediately turned around and ate it. I think she has done this before because she grabbed it soooo fast before I could reach for it. I'm sure your hen will be fine, soon as her egg laying factory gets going.
In my experience eggs are not hard shelled coming out, they are semi-hard and a bit flexible, then the hen stands over it for a minute or two then gives it the tiniest little peck to assure it has hardened up. That is why sometimes you see those little peck marks in otherwise perfect eggs. That is also why sometimes you get eggs that have rows of ridges on them, they were slow coming out and started to harden up during the laying process, once they hit air.

Thank You All For The Replies. She had just layed a complete egg today. It was small though. Any way it was the most delicous egg I have ever eaten. So thanks once again for the replies. I can now sleep at night knowing she will be okay.

I'm having a similar problem. I've checked the internet and the instructions I see are to soak her in warm soapy water and massage where the egg is and then give her some time to pass it. They also advised to get her away from other chickens so she can relax. I have my troubled hen in a tub covered with a towel to keep her warm. Pray she is still alive when I get home so I can try treating her and keeping her alive and healthy.

Back
Top Bottom