Egg bound Comet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mamajo, Jan 17, 2013.

1. mamajo

mamajo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    I've been reading several of the threads on Egg Bound hens and tried everything I've read. I have a comet that is just miserable. She tries and tries but nothing. I've tried the warm baths, rubbing her carefully as to not break the egg, that is clearly there, she keeps laying on her side. I'm a little worried about her. I've brought her in, to keep her warm and comfortable. Should I take her to a vet?

2. Buffygirl

Buffygirl Out Of The Brooder

Try giving her another warm bath but this time put some epsom salts in it. Epsom salts work magic for egg binding, since it relaxes muscles.

Also give her a dose of olive oil with one of those medicine syringes. 3 or 4 ml should do.

One more thing...keep massaging her like you have been, it helps.

Best of luck!!!​

3. mamajo

mamajo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    I'll keep trying. She's wondered under the table and laid down. I hope something works soon. "Just out of asking, how long can she go on like this?

4. Buffygirl

Buffygirl Out Of The Brooder

I've heard that if they don't pass the egg in 48 hours they die. Just keep doin' what you're doin' and she should get it out

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by