Egg Bound, Constipation, Something Else ...?

CalBickieMomma

Crowing
Jul 27, 2019
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Hello lovely chicken people!

My elderly hen (8 year old Barred Rock) seems to be a little off. Her walk was a little stiffer than usual this morning (she usually walks more in a waddle because I suspect she has a little chicken arthritis, but it was more obvious today). Also, she seemed to be standing a tiny bit more upright, her tail a bit more dipped than usual. When I checked her out, I noticed the skin on either side of her vent was swelled up (I’ll include pictures).

I thought maybe she was egg bound, so I soaked her in warm water for 20 minutes, but no egg or poop. I tried gently massaging the area (feels like there might be something firm in there, but not uniform - like it might be her hip bone - and feels like the hard protuberance is in the same spot on both sides). When I massaged her, she released a tiny bit of fecal matter (size of a dime; milky white/mucous-like - sorry, didn’t get a picture of that) and she sounded a little gassy when I gently squeezed her.

Other than that, she seems fine. She’s alert, eating what I offer her, and even tried to jump into my lap earlier (so no obvious signs of illness). Any thoughts? Thanks!

826F1F67-EAA6-471D-B551-74A60E50F5BA.jpeg
61AA1BDE-8CB9-4B64-A5E5-3E9CE6969CD7.jpeg
36D9D66C-5763-4F37-84B7-FF3962E7965A.jpeg
8401A3C2-906D-43D9-9A20-E2728451B5B7.jpeg

She could be severely constipated.

But that swelling makes me think she has fluids in her abdomen, or started internally laying at some point.
Thanks! Just checked on her (have her in a pet carrier in the laundry room where it is dark and quiet). She had pooped, so that’s a good thing, I guess. I’m leaving her in there until her feathers dry out a bit. May put her back in the coop tonight if she’s still acting alert and is dry (I’m on California’s coast, so doesn’t get super cold at night).

Thanks! Just checked on her (have her in a pet carrier in the laundry room where it is dark and quiet). She had pooped, so that’s a good thing, I guess. I’m leaving her in there until her feathers dry out a bit. May put her back in the coop tonight if she’s still acting alert and is dry (I’m on California’s coast, so doesn’t get super cold at night).
Okay, but I'd suggest keeping her inside just to monitor her, for any new symptoms that may appear.

She’s spending the night in the pet carrier. Last time I checked on her - a couple of hours ago before bed - she was behaving normally (even ate some all flock pellets mixed with scratch). Hopefully she’ll be fine in the morning and I can put her in the ‘convalescent pen’ before leaving for work tomorrow so the rest of the flock doesn’t get on her nerves :p.

Hey all! Sorry I have checked in in a while. So update on Alice: She’s been doing just fine (just the usual getting around more slowly because she’s an old lady :old). I think the ‘swelling’ was just some old lady blubber and nothing serious. Thanks for all your help!!! :wee

Back
Top Bottom