Egg Bound? Daughter's favorite girl and no chicken vets around!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Casii, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Casii

Casii Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2010
    Dudes, I really don't want to lose this chicken. We're on our 2nd warm bath treatment.

She's been tail to the ground for almost 3 days now. Still eating normally and out with the other girls, but not as social as she usually is. She's spent time off & on in the nest box with no results. I'm not sure I'm imagining her comb is getting more pale or if it really is because I'm watching her so closely.

2. dmccann

dmccann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    u can try an internal ,also putting mineral oil into her vent could lube the egg if stuck,be careful for infection.

3. Daisy668

Daisy668 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    I have never had this problem before but try massaging her vent area to get the egg out.. She may not be egg bound. Can you feel a egg there?
    Daisy. xx

4. Casii

Casii Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2010
    After 3 warm baths to no avail, I got up close and personal with the chicken. Really personal. [​IMG]

No evidence of an egg near the end of her oviduct, but shortly afterward, my daughter was holding her on the sofa and got a very large, very stinky chicken poop and a satisfied cluck from said chicken. We put her back on the roost with her girlfriends and we'll see how she's looking in the morning.

Meanwhile, I've got to buy new cheesemaking gloves....

5. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. SanctusPullus

SanctusPullus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Austin, Texas
    My Coop
    Quote:Happens to the best of us, and sometimes to our chickens too... lol Glad to hear it [​IMG]

7. woodward farms

woodward farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    northwest indiana
    i thinking next couple of days i wont be having cheese on my omlette after hearing that
    that was one of those questions thatyour better off not asking.. but we got the answer anyway

but hope all is well and getting better

almost forgot hope the stain comes out your daughters pants

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by