Egg bound duck, egg isn't coming out first.

SpaceRockOG

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2022
Hello y'all I'm in a bit of distress. I have a duck about 6 months old who i believe is egg bound. I have checked her and her sisters for comparison (she has been acting strange the past 2 days so I knew something was up) and she definitely has an egg shaped object right by her vent. The problem is when I got to massage it out and help her pass it, when it protrudes I dont see a shell but a sort of fleshy pink that I don't think i should force out (she is also seems to be in a lot of pain when it protrudes.) I am asking for advice on what this is? I have her in a warm bath and have applied petroleum jelly to her. Any ideas why this pink flesh is poking out first instead of her egg? the egg itself seems hard and healthy so I dont think it is without a shell... and again I've checked her sisters to make sure im not accidentally squeezing out her organs. Again I really dont want to force it but it seems like the egg is behind the flesh because its a very hard ball. There is deffinatly something there and she has been self isolating and acting lethargic the past coupled days. Thanks in advance. I will attempt to get a picture while im waiting for a response.

Edit:I've noticed she poops just fine which seems odd to me. Still pretty sure its an egg though because when I prod her she raises her tail and contracts her behind as if trying to pass, and it seems like she poops instead of passing it. She also drinks water just fine, doesn't seem to want to eat. Picture attached, the yellow bits look like the straw from their bedding

Attachments

• 20221010_101244.jpg
    20221010_101244.jpg
    529.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 20221010_101238.jpg
    20221010_101238.jpg
    482.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
How is she doing tonight? Has there been any progress?
You might try giving her a calcium tablet (tums, etc...) or two. Pop it right into her beak. Calcium boost helps contractions - or so I've heard. A warm bath with epsom salts is supposed to help, too.
@Isaac 0 @Miss Lydia @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @azygous
Maybe one of these experts I've tagged will have better advice.
Meanwhile, how is she?

Read through my article on prolapse. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/ It will explain what you are seeing and your duck is experiencing.

Do give her a calcium tablet immediately as @BarnyardChaos has suggested. It is the most important thing you can do for her.

The best sort of calcium for a crisis such as this is calcium citrate with D3 as it works fastest of all forms of calcium. One tablet directly into the mouth. It will go down okay.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom