Lexi108

Chirping
Nov 20, 2017
Okay so this is a little different than other posts on here. I have a parakeet that is egg bound. I know this site is for chickens but my problem isn't currently in the coop. I figured you guys would know about dealing with this stuff. She has been bound since yesterday but she has been able to poop regularly. I have put hemmorhoid cream on it and it has taken down some of the swelling. Warm water bath helped as well. I gave her calcium(orally) and massaged the area. She has gotten a lot better today but the egg is still stuck near her cloaca. Please help. The vet isn't an option right now. Thank you all.

Okay so this is a little different than other posts on here. I have a parakeet that is egg bound. I know this site is for chickens but my problem isn't currently in the coop. I figured you guys would know about dealing with this stuff. She has been bound since yesterday but she has been able to poop regularly. I have put hemmorhoid cream on it and it has taken down some of the swelling. Warm water bath helped as well. I gave her calcium(orally) and massaged the area. She has gotten a lot better today but the egg is still stuck near her cloaca. Please help. The vet isn't an option right now. Thank you all.

I'm sorry to hear about your Parakeet. It sounds like you are doing what you can for her. I don't know anything about Parakeets, but a quick search, it seems the same method of treatment is pretty much the same as for a chicken.

Being able to poop is good, this means the egg is not blocking the intestines.

You mention you put hemorrhoid cream and it help reduce the swelling - does she have a prolapse as well? An anti-inflammatory cream may also be help reduce swelling.
(there's nothing wrong with using the Prep H, just concerned she's prolapsing too)

Hydration is important so keep encouraging her to drink. If she becomes lethargic, it would be better to place her in a steamy bathroom (this method is used for chickens too), otherwise, if she is agreeable an epsom salts bath may help get things moving. https://www.beautyofbirds.com/eggbinding.html
Give her time, hopefully she will pass the egg soon.
Sometimes an egg has to be removed by piercing with a needled syringe to draw out the contents, then carefully crushing the egg and removing it - I would only attempt this as a last resort, lifesaving method, you risk the shell cutting the cloaca/oviduct, contents can still spill out, there's a possibility of not getting all the shell any of these can cause infection. IF you end up having to crush the egg, I would put her on antibiotics to help fight infection.

I hope she has passed the egg by the time you read this post. Please let us know how she's doing.

I'm sorry to hear about your Parakeet. It sounds like you are doing what you can for her. I don't know anything about Parakeets, but a quick search, it seems the same method of treatment is pretty much the same as for a chicken.

Being able to poop is good, this means the egg is not blocking the intestines.

You mention you put hemorrhoid cream and it help reduce the swelling - does she have a prolapse as well? An anti-inflammatory cream may also be help reduce swelling.
(there's nothing wrong with using the Prep H, just concerned she's prolapsing too)

Hydration is important so keep encouraging her to drink. If she becomes lethargic, it would be better to place her in a steamy bathroom (this method is used for chickens too), otherwise, if she is agreeable an epsom salts bath may help get things moving. https://www.beautyofbirds.com/eggbinding.html
Give her time, hopefully she will pass the egg soon.
Sometimes an egg has to be removed by piercing with a needled syringe to draw out the contents, then carefully crushing the egg and removing it - I would only attempt this as a last resort, lifesaving method, you risk the shell cutting the cloaca/oviduct, contents can still spill out, there's a possibility of not getting all the shell any of these can cause infection. IF you end up having to crush the egg, I would put her on antibiotics to help fight infection.

I hope she has passed the egg by the time you read this post. Please let us know how she's doing.
Thank you for responding. She does not have a prolapse and sadly has not passed the egg yet. But the hemmorhoid cream worked very well, last night it was a giant blood red buldge and this morning when I checked on her the swelling was completely gone. Her feathers aren't ruffled, she is eating, drinking, and pooping. You could look at her and not even be able to tell anything is wrong. She has perked up so much. Last night we got one of our chicken's eggs and crushed it into a powder and gave it to her in a syringe with water and I think that helped her feel better too. Hopefully she passes it but I have high hopes because of how well she is acting. She is even flying around and making her little tweets. Thank you so much for your response, I will jeep you updated!

Thank you for responding. She does not have a prolapse and sadly has not passed the egg yet. But the hemmorhoid cream worked very well, last night it was a giant blood red buldge and this morning when I checked on her the swelling was completely gone. Her feathers aren't ruffled, she is eating, drinking, and pooping. You could look at her and not even be able to tell anything is wrong. She has perked up so much. Last night we got one of our chicken's eggs and crushed it into a powder and gave it to her in a syringe with water and I think that helped her feel better too. Hopefully she passes it but I have high hopes because of how well she is acting. She is even flying around and making her little tweets. Thank you so much for your response, I will jeep you updated!
:fl

Back
Top Bottom