Egg bound emergeny--is there anyone who could talk me through this?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pinguin, Jun 21, 2011.

1. pinguin

pinguin Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2009
    SW IL
    I've helped more than a few hens who were egg bound, successfully, but Gracie (bantam EE) is a different story. The egg is at the vent, but I can't actual see it--it's covered by the mucus membrane of her cloaca. She's desperately tired & can't help very much with the pushing. (

If there's anyone who has had this happen to a hen, please PM me. I'm so afraid I'm going to lose her.

Thanks.

2. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Since you've helped other hens through this, can you list what you've done so far for her, otherwise people might suggest things that you've already tried. My first thought was did you try giving her a sitz bath (in warm water and epsom salts)?

3. pinguin

Jan 4, 2009
    SW IL
    Quote:Warm baths, gentle pressure on her abdomen, digital manipulation (glove liberally lubricated with petroleum jelly). The cloaca is everted, but the egg shell is not visible.

She'd been acting odd for a day or so; I brought her in on Sunday evening. She's eaten very little, though she has been drinking. It wasn't until late this morning that I finally felt the egg under her breastbone.

I can actually rotate the egg--there's that much lubrication inside her. But it's all for naught. At this point, with other hens, I could see the egg shell. Much like a baby's head crowning! But not with Gracie. I would chance puncturing the egg, but I can't/won't try to do so through the cloacal membrane & risk almost certain peritonitis.

Thanks. I've got to get back to Gracie. Hubby is with her and she's in a sinkful of warm water.

4. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Pinguin I have had much sucess with the sitz baths, very relaxing for the hen as well. I can't reccomend any other treatment as far as that goes due to lack of knowledge on other options. I can relate tho because my ee bantam hen had the same problem, the egg never did come out despite my efforts and the hen passed away. I hope someone with more experience comes along quickly to give better advise on what to do. Best of luck to you and your hen [​IMG]

5. pinguin

Jan 4, 2009
    SW IL
    Quote:Baths have always worked with my other hens, too. Thanks for the kind words. I'm in tears as I type. Want so badly to help it and don't know what else I can do.

6. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Since calcium deficiency can be one of the causes of egg binding (they need calcium for muscle contractions), perhaps try giving her some additional calcium supplement? I can imagine how helpless you must feel. [​IMG] Thinking about you and Gracie and hoping it will get to the point where you can help her. [​IMG]

7. pinguin

Jan 4, 2009
    SW IL
    Quote:Thanks. If I'd realized earlier what was going on, I would have tried calcium. I'm afraid it's too late, now. She's fading fast.

She's never had a problem laying, as far as I know. My hens have free choice oyster shell as well as the calcium in their layer feed, so if it's a calcium deficiency, perhaps there's something in her genetics. I simply don't know.

Thanks for your support. Now I go to decide what to do. I won't leave her in pain.

8. pinguin

Jan 4, 2009
    SW IL
    Gracie is gone. She aeized in my arms & died.

9. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    Oh my I am soooooooo sorry !!!!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Justhatched

Justhatched Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by