egg bound gold link?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenLover200, Oct 7, 2013.

1. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    Is this chicken egg bound??? she keeps going back to the nest and we are treating her for being egg bound right now.. she laid like a piece of shell green mixed with egg white and yellow all over nest box then rubber egg crushed in another nest...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    right now she is in dog kennel and has food water and heat lamp...

2. cypressdrake

cypressdrake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2012
    Thibodaux, Louisiana.
    If your seeing pieces of egg, I would think that an egg possibly broke inside from a fall or injury. I would try to keep her in her same nesting area so she will feel secure and normal as possible, unless she is weak or very sickly. Any sudden changes could stop her progress of passing, she'll be more worried about how to get out that kennel.

If she has a broken egg inside she may need to be flushed out or brought to a vet. Broken shell is something that will be hard to pass.
    With her passing egg shell and a green discharge, you may want to start her on antibiotics as well to keep down infection.

Good Luck!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would get a rubber glove with lubricant and insert a finger 1 1/2 inches into her vent gently trying to remove any shell debris or egg contents left inside. There could be another egg present. Than using some white vinegar and water, about 1 to 4 ratio, squirt some into the vent to clean it so infection doesn't set in. She should get a dose of calcium in the form of crushed calcium tablet, Tums, crushed egg shell since calcium will help release the egg. If there is more egg present, you can help get it out with a very warm bath for 15-20 minutes. This relaxes the vent muscles to release an egg.

4. ChickenLover200

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    we moved her out of the coop so we could keep an eye on her because our coop is so far away from our house.. do you think we should move her back? right now she is nesting in the kennel seeming like she is trying to lay an egg... also my mom rubbed her vent area with vegetable oil

5. cypressdrake

Jul 4, 2012
    Thibodaux, Louisiana.
    If she's still trying to lay an egg then she must be in pain, Eggcessive was right about checking the vent, this needs to be done. I would take that advice. The vinegar may also help soften the egg shell, so it will not cut her when she passes it. If you soak an egg in vinegar overnight, it will get soft, but that was pure vinegar, but don't use it pure, only diluted as eggcessive said as a rinse.

The longer you wait to clear her vent, the weaker and more risk of infection and/or death. I lost two older Black Copper Marans hens last year due to being egg bound.

6. ChickenLover200

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    she is a young hen.. her tail feathers just drooped down what does that mean?

7. ChickenLover200

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    she made it and the other day she laid a Humongous EGG!!!!!
    now she is fine!
    [​IMG]

8. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    That's great news. Yay

9. ChickenLover200

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    Yep!

10. cypressdrake

Jul 4, 2012
    Thibodaux, Louisiana.
    [​IMG] Good Deal! Glad to here some good news. It' was very heart breaking when I lost my favorite hen Loretta from being egg bound.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by