Egg bound? Graphic Pics

jujubear

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 16, 2009
I raise ducks for meat. My young female duck was laying eggs for the first time. I was pulling the eggs she was laying. A few days ago she was near death so I culled her. I found what looks like many eggs inside of her of many sizes. Does anyone have any experience on ducks being egg bound? Or does anyone have any other ideas on what was going on? See pictures below.

Thank in advance for your advice.

Julie

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2155808700097970714OcBzOx

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2288777050097970714MUpkqj

Last edited:
Ouch, never seen it before!
ep.gif

Yup, I'd say she was eggbound. Poor girl.
hmm.png

At least she didn't have to suffer any longer.

{I'm thinking you should put a warning on your post to discourage random clicking people from getting freaked out.}

Yep..eggbound...i saw a pic just like this from an eggbound chicken...its sad..but you should put in the title of your post...graphic pics!

yes she was definitely egg bound, poor thing. I'm glad she didn't have to suffer. My duck victor became egg bound when she started laying last january. Her eggs actually had no shells on them, but somehow she managed to get one whole shelless egg out and laid without breaking it. I noticed that she had egg yolk and whites coming out of her bottom. We got lucky, she didn't have any other eggs stuck in her. When they hit about 5 months old, before they start laying, they need to have crushed oyster shell added to their diet. Either mix it in with their feed or give it to them in a seperate container. After i started offering oyster shells, i haven't had a problem since. If your duck seems upset, listless, or aggrevated and hasn't layed yet (Or didn't lay when she normally does), you can put her in a darkened cool place, like the bathtub. Even filling it with some water can help, since she can get off her feet and being in water usually entices them to poop. You can try rubbing her belly to help the eggs pass. If yolk or whites come out of her bottom, you can use a turkey baster or a big syringe to squirt water up the cloaca to help rinse out the broken egg pieces. If an egg breaks inside of her, she will need antibitics to help get rid of any infection. I also brought my duck to an avian vet to make sure there were no shell fragments stuck in her. If they eggs stay intact and don't come out, all you can do is let her rest, keep her cool and calm, and hope for the best. Sometimes rubbing dentured alcohol on their feet helps them cool off/calm down

This is so sad! Makes me worry about my female runner. About two weeks ago now I caught them mating for the first time, well the first time I saw it.
pop.gif

They were 2 days old March 25th 2011 so that makes them almost 5 months old now. I expect that Cocoa, my female runner, will be producing eggs anytime! I have noticed twice now that her chest has had a sunken in look. It seems to have gone away but I am greatly concearned about it.

What I have read so far online is that she could be egg bound. She acts normal and doesn't seemed bothered or irritated. I best get some oyster shell asap! I would hate for her to have to go through what your poor duck had to endure!
hit.gif

Ducks, like chickens will need extra "stuff" to help with the egg production. Crushed oyster shell and access to either muddy water with fine pebbles or chicken grit will suffice.

Offer in a separate dish, not with their food.

Back
Top Bottom