Egg bound guinea hen!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by froggie71, Jun 30, 2011.

1. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    My DS brought in 1 of our guinea hens last night as she had "a lump". Definitely egg bound. Looks like 2 eggs as least. Her cloaca was prolapsed as well. After soaking her in epsom salts and warm water we placed her in a dog kennel last night. She is eating a drinking. Over night her cloaca has returned to normal, but she is still egg bound. Soaked her again this morning for 30 min. and massaged trying to help her pass the eggs. No luck so far. Afraid she will prolapse again. Any thoughts? Hate to lose her. We just lost 1 of our favorite EE girls due to being egg bound [​IMG]

2. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

One theory with multiple birds being egg bound is a lack of calcium. Even if you're giving them the right diet, some birds might require more. Calcium doesn't just have to do with the egg shell, calcium is needed by muscle cells to contract. Get yourself some TUMS (yes, the antacid), crush them up and feed them to her (mix with water or a banana, something soft that you know she'll eat or you'll just have to force her to drink it) . The additional calcium might help her muscles contract stronger to push those eggs out.

Good luck!! [​IMG]

3. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    We've been giving her hard boiled eggs with the shell crushed up and added some calcium on top (powdered form) as well as her feed. She's been eating it all. Gave her a 3rd soak and massage, but no eggs. [​IMG] She's been such a good girl through it all. She is 3 years old and 1 of our original guineas. Hoping she'll be able to pass these eggs soon. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by