Egg Bound..Help Please!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kyrose, Jul 16, 2011.

1. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Hello,ive got a bantam cochin,not sure what age,but am pretty certain shes a little old lady.She was given to me and they werent sure of her age.she developed a MAJOR eye infection that need a vets attn.we took care of the infection but now i think shes egg bound.ive read all the recommendations and i have already soaked her once.what im afraid of is shes so weak and i dont know how much longer she will make it.so my question is-should i continue to try or just put her down humanely? i do not want her to suffer,she is a very sweet girl.any advice is very much appreciated...
    terri

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Can you actually see or feel an egg near her vent? It is possible to get some eggs out if they are near the vent area. First thing you can do is pick her up and feel around her vent on the outside. Sometimes the egg is right there or very close so that by pressing on her vent, you can feel it. Also feel up from her vent on the outside of her toward her hips by pressing along her abdomen. You can also feel it there. If the egg is right near the vent, what you can do is put on a surgical glove with some KY jelly on the forefinger tip and gently insert your finger in her vent. If you feel the egg, just push it right ways so that it will come out. (The egg maybe sideways)

If the egg is further up the canal, you can massage some KY jelly or even cooking oil if you have any, on and just in the vent area, and from the outside of her body, rub the egg down toward the vent. Sometimes you can work the egg out this way.

I am sorry about your girl. I hope she makes it thru. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  3. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Quote:it seems to be right near her vent.it may be side ways.when i try to apply any pressure it really seems to hurt her.she is so weak she cant hold her wings up so im not even sure she will make it if i get the egg out.
    i appreciate you replying...

4. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You really need to get that egg out. She will at least have a chance to live if you get it out. Otherwise she will die. I know it hurts her, but you have to try. [​IMG]

5. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    well i used some gloves and ky jelly.i couldnt feel anything.now i dont know what the hard im feeling from the outside.is it possible that her internal organs have swelled up.she did have a very severe infection in her eye that the vet felt had also moved to her crop and god knows where else.her breathing is slow and very shallow so im thinking it may be time to put her out of her misery.im heartbroken over this.she is a beloved pet.. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Beaky Buzzard

Beaky Buzzard Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]:hugs:/:(Sooooo sorry

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  7. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Kyrose, I am soooo sorry. [​IMG] It is possible that she is suffering from something completely different and as you said, could be infection has spread thru out her body. I understand completely that you need to put her down. It would probably be the best thing to do for her.

I am very very sorry. [​IMG]

8. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Quote:put her on a stick??

9. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Quote:put her on a stick??

I think they mean like roosting... good luck! [​IMG]

10. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Quote:thank you so much for trying to help me.it sucks that me and the vet couldnt save her.she will be very missed..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by