Egg Bound? Help please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ErinG, Jul 30, 2011.

1. ErinG

ErinG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    My 1.5 year old BO visited the nest this morning, but did not lay an egg. I thought that was strange and actually thought about posting to see if that happens sometimes. This evening I noticed her laying down while everyone else was running around. When I went outside she got up, but was puffed up and had her cloaca exposed the whole time (still does an hour later). Her abdomen looks red and swollen to me, although I've never looked very closely at it. She is "pumping" her vent, but not visiting the nest. I brought her inside and put her in a warm tub of water, she didn't get as low as I would have liked, just her lower abdomen got wet. I gave her some water and oatmeal, which she took. She then pooped A LOT onto my floor, which I took as a good sign. It was runny, but the color was good. I blow dried her and returned her outside and she is running around, but I would like to give her a steam treatment. I do not have a wire bottom cage, but do have a crate. Anyone have an idea how I can rig up a steam box for her? Does it sound like she is egg bound?

2. ErinG

ErinG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Instead of on the roost, she is in the nest box. I'm going to take that as affirmation that she is egg bound. Anyone have ideas on how to steam her with common house hold items? I don't have a good cage for this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by