Egg Bound.. HELP!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Koroian968, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Koroian968

Koroian968 New Egg

Jul 1, 2013
    Thurmont, MD
    Hello!
    I have an 11month old pekin. She has been laying since 6months old. She hasn't been laying the last few days. I know she is egg bound. I can feel 3 eggs in her. They feel hard and she isnt acting weird or like she is in pain. I do give her egg shells everyday and she is on layer feed. My call duck is laying fine. SO, to my question. What is the best way to help her pass these eggs? I have her soaking in warm water right now and everything you read says take her to a vet, but thats not an option tomorrow because I work. Can she wait until Saturday? She really is acting like her normal self. No squatting or sitting. Shes eating and drinking fine. She is bathing, preening and swimming fine. I have even see her pooping. It isn't the solid poop but the white watery poop with some solid in it. I do have vaseline and gloves, so I can put some on her if i need to. I'm just not really looking forward to that... Any suggestions?

2. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Hi @Koroian968

Seems to me like the behavior poop and eating are all telling you good things. The float baths are also very good. So you feed her layer feed and you give her egg shells also? You might upgrade to Crushed Oyster Shell, but I think what you really need to do is go get some Calcium Gluconate (liquid- I found it in the cattle aisle at my farm store) and that is a clear liquid calcium that you can add to your duck's drinking water that should help. I would keep doing the baths, get her to eat as much calcium as you can, and pop the Calcium Gluc in front of her. I think your dosage is 2-3 Tablespoons per gal, but do run a search for Amiga's dosage, she knows best. Good luck. Hope your duck tums around right away. :)

3. Koroian968

Koroian968 New Egg

Jul 1, 2013
    Thurmont, MD
    Thank you for the reply. I do give her oyster shells, guess I just had egg on the brain. I will look for the calcium liquid tomorrow! I think she will be okay for tonight. Who knows might wake up to some eggs tomorrow!

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would give her as much opportunity to float in lukewarm water as possible, and I use a teaspoon per half cup of water added to their food.

I have also put a quarter teaspoon of calcium gluconate in two tablespoons of peas, half-mashed, and figured that about an eighth of a teaspoon was getting into the duck that way.

You could, if you are good at it, use a syringe at get 0.4 mL straight into the duck's mouth (that advice from a vet).

5. Koroian968

Koroian968 New Egg

Jul 1, 2013
    Thurmont, MD
    Thanks for your posts. I have to order the calcium glutamate. Our tractor supply doesnt have any. Day 4 still no eggs. Seems to be in good spirits. She just pooped in her kiddie pool and there is lots of oyster shells in it. Good to know she is getting her calcium. We have also started adding vitamins to her water. Hopefully tonight will be the night!

6. Koroian968

Koroian968 New Egg

Jul 1, 2013
    Thurmont, MD
    Gluconate... auto correct...

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    So you wrote there are lots of oyster shells? In her poop? Hmmmm. Not egg shells? Keep letting her swim and bathe - just be careful handling her, we don't want eggs breaking inside her. I am tired, so maybe I am being too worried, but I am wondering if the shell shards she pooped are coming from her eggs...

There is a risk of infection here, if you can get her to a vet, that is what I would do. I understand if you cannot. But the risk of infection is there, and I would start researching what kind of antibiotic might be good in this case, and where you can get it, and the dosage.

8. Koroian968

Koroian968 New Egg

Jul 1, 2013
    Thurmont, MD
    I am sure they are oyster shells. I picked them up. All vets are closed until monday... Hopefully she can hang on one more day. Its frustrating because the egg is right there. I cant see it but I can feel it. Im afraid because when I touch it I can feel it crackle so I know it is very soft. This one has me worried now. I am also freaking out because my boss is a jerk and gives us a hard time about taking off, but Monster is in a life or death situation... My boss is going to have to deal!

9. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Her being in good spirits is encouraging. Try to help her keep her immune system strong - keep her where temperatures are not very low (like 40˚F or warmer), fresh water, good food, vitamins in the water, and whatever you do to encourage her.

The Duck Forum is for encouraging one another and sharing what we know, have done, ideas.

10. Koroian968

Koroian968 New Egg

Jul 1, 2013
    Thurmont, MD
    Yes you guys have been very helpful! Thank you. Luckily we have had some mild temps here the last couple nights. She has a 100w bulb in her heat lamp and a towel over the door to keep the draft out. I think it keeps her pretty warm. We have started putting vitamins in her water. She is still acting normal today thankfully. Tomorrow is the vet visit day! I will keep you all posted. Thank you again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by