Egg Bound Hen for a Week....at a loss!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mommylarz, Jun 9, 2011.

1. mommylarz

mommylarz New Egg

Jun 1, 2011
    I have an egg bound Americana and she has been egg bound for a week now. I have tried soaks, olive oil in her vent, pulled her out of the coop and brought her inside, but she seems to do better out with the other hens. I can see the bulge of the egg above her vent and I am guessing that the egg may be sideways. She is eating, drinking and pooping still.....but it has been a long time and I have no idea what to do to get the egg out and I don't want the poor hen to suffer. She is a year old and has been a great layer up until now. Any ideas will be appreciated!!!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You are going to need to reach in and turn the egg rightways. You will need a tight surgical glove and some KY jelly. Hold her so her front is facing front, put some KY on your index finger and gently reach into her vent and push the egg straight. Try to get the rounder egg toward the vent. Hopefully she can pass it then.

If she stays like this too much longer, you may lose her. [​IMG]

Good luck with your baby. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  3. bkolodge

bkolodge New Egg

Jun 9, 2011
    In Backyard Poultry magazine a few months ago there was a similar problem. The answer man there said that if you can't get it to pass, you may have to break the egg and CAREFULLY remove the shells so you don't injure her insides. I hope you don't have to do that, but I would try that rather than lose the hen.

4. mommylarz

mommylarz New Egg

Jun 1, 2011
    Thank you, I will try moving the egg and hope that helps. We would hate to loose her....she has been a great hen. As far as breaking the egg goes, I guess that would be a last resort. Hopefully we won't have to do that!

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I do not recommend breaking the egg. It isn't that hard to move the egg around and you could be saving her life. I wouldnt' wait any longer [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by