Egg bound hen **graphic pictures**

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jzervas92, Aug 31, 2016.

1. jzervas92

jzervas92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    New York
    Hello everyone, again I have attached some graphic pictures but I have a bit of a crisis. One of my hens about a year and a half old was having a hard time passing an egg. So I soaked her twice this morning about 20 minutes each time and finally after the second time she passed what looked like a rubber egg. I don't know if it broke inside her or it never properly formed. I know it's really bad if it broke inside her and I don't know how to treat her if it did. When it came out water and white stuff came out too. When I picked it up it felt soft and it could be ripped open there was nothing inside. She still is acting slow and puffed up, but her comb and waddle are still red. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It does look like the soft egg may have broken inside her. Her egg may have been overly large to pass. There is not a whole lot that can be done, but I would make sure that she is eating layer feed and getting some extra calcium on the side in the form of free fed crushed egg shells or oystershell. That will hopefully help her egg shells to be hard.

3. jzervas92

jzervas92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    New York
    Thank you Eggcessive for the advice. She's definitely drinking a lot but I'm gonna sit with her today and make sure she eats some feed and oyster shells. She's still acting slow and puffed out. Is the egg breaking inside of her a huge issue? Is it going to cause an infection or any other issues? I never saw anything yellow come out with the egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by