egg bound hen has gone broody on us

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RichnSteph, Dec 19, 2014.

1. RichnSteph

RichnSteph Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    We have a black Australorp hen that was egg bound when we got her. Yes we've tried the warm water bath, gently massaging her area, a little olive oil in a syringe and even reaching into her vent in the hope that the egg will come out. No dice. It's fine since our birds are more pets than anything (because anything that is this expensive has got to be a pet) and we don't mind that she'll never lay any eggs. The odd thing is that she has taken to sleeping in the nesting box on any egg that the others lay in there. At first I thought she was just sleeping in there to get away from the others, well last night I went to shoo her out of there and she about killed me. This morning the same thing. She refuses to leave that nest without putting up one heck of a fight. My wife has told me that during the day the hen only comes out a few times to eat and drink. If it's colder outside she stays in longer.

Can an egg bound hen become broody? If so will she actually hatch the eggs and take care of the chicks?

RichnSteph

2. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Hi

I'm not sure I am reading this right but if I am, you are saying that there is still an egg stuck inside her but she is now exhibiting broody behaviour. If so, you need to get it out otherwise eventually it will kill her.

You say she was egg bound when you got her..... how long have you had her and are you saying she is still egg bound with the same egg? Are you sure she is egg bound? Can you feel the egg with a finger inserted gently into her vent? If so, that egg will slowly rot inside her if you don't get it out.

If she really is egg bound, her behaviour may be more to do with that than actually being broody.

3. mortie

mortie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    What makes you think she's eggbound? Is it just because she hasn't been laying? I would think a truly eggbound hen would be quite ill by this time if you've had her for more than a couple of days.

4. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  5. RichnSteph

RichnSteph Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    Hmm, It must be something else then. We've had her for months. When we first brought her home I inserted a finger into her vent and could feel a squishy mass in there that felt like an egg with a gelatinous shell on it, never did get it out and she still has a lump in that same area that's never gone away or gotten any larger.

RichnSteph

6. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Not eggbound then I'd think, unless she's going for some sort of world record. Could be a tumor. Could be a few things... How familiar are you with a chicken's internals? You know, if you're not attached to her, since she's attacking people, it might be a good thing to cull her and check out what you can find out, or send her off to a lab for a necropsy. Just a thought.

Sounds like something's going on with her, good luck with that.

Best wishes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by