1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

egg bound hen laid broken rubber egg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickcrack, Jun 10, 2016.

1. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    [​IMG]

I noticed my little Old English Bantam Weezie was acting a little off this evening and when I picked her up what looked like egg white oozed from her vent. When I got her inside to clean up she began pushing with no success so into the warm bath then lubed up with olive oil and about 1/2 hour after it all started she laid this broken rubber egg. She has been laying daily recently and I noticed yesterday's egg was a little larger than normal. I flushed her vent with saline and gave her a 1/2 tab of calcium and some polyvisol drops. How worried should I be about infection? All I have on hand is tetracycline. She is back in the coop for the evening as she seemed right back to normal after her ordeal. I've never had a hen lay a broken egg before. Thx for any advice.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
  3. chickcrack

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Thx Wyorp Rock. Appreciate the info. It's her first glitch ever so will just keep an eye on her for now.

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    You're Welcome[​IMG]

Keep us posted.

5. chickcrack

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    [​IMG]

Weezie just laid a perfect egg. Took her 4 hours in all different nesting boxes but she seems good. Thx again.

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    She's a lovely girl!
    I'm so glad she is doing well. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by