Egg bound Hen, now she won't eat...help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ceking35, Oct 4, 2016.

1. ceking35

ceking35 New Egg

Jun 1, 2015
    One of our Speckled Sussex was egg bound over the weekend. She is about 16 months old. We tried all of the remedies ourselves, lube, warm soak, calcium, etc. we could not get the egg out. Took her to the vet and he was able to do the same things and after a while, got the egg out. We kept her in a kennel in the house last night. She now is drinking tons of water but won't eat and will not get up. She is still acting miserable. Is it possible she now has sour crop??? Please help!

2. blairctchickens

blairctchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    North East Kansas
    I see it has been a day since your post and I hope all is well with your hen. I would say keep monitoring her for she was most likely worn out from the whole procedure. Maybe offer some small treats and some scrambled egg to tempt her hunger. Hope all is well!![​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. How is your hen doing now? Feed her chopped egg, tuna, and feed mixed with water. Add SaveAChick or other brand of electrolytes to her water until she feels better. Chickens can become egg bound from formation of overly large eggs, dehydration, and not taking enough calcium in the diet. Layer feed plus availability of crushed oyster shell or egg shells can help with calcium can help.

4. sunflowerbee

sunflowerbee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2016
    Magnolia, Ky.
    Hi friends, one of my hens was egg bound Monday I found her squatting and straining so I picked her up and examined her I could feel a egg in her. So I took her in and put her in warm soaking water for about 20 minutes I did have to reach up in vent and help her pass egg. It's Friday and she is still having this yellowish poop vent still swollen and insides are still out a bit. Can anyone tell me how to help her now

5. Samira71

Samira71 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2016
    My chicken is not eating! She passed shellless egg yesterday. She is so week and fragile! I have her Epsom salt bath thinking it would help but she is not moving! She is pooping yellowish kind of liquid. Please help! [​IMG]

6. blairctchickens

blairctchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    North East Kansas
    Please repost and start you own thread on this issue, so you can get the proper help you need without getting mixed information in this thread.

7. sunflowerbee

sunflowerbee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2016
    Magnolia, Ky.
    I'm so tired of posting that's not where it should be. What the heck

8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Quote:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by